What system to purchase?

jpn

What system to purchase?

Postby jpn » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:24 am

Hi,

I am considering a video / data logger for use on my historic Porsche 911 race cars. Ideally the system would be relatively portable to minimise the amount of duplication of hardware for each car. At this stage I do not race both cars at the same meeting, although sometimes I test with both of them. During a race meeting I am not permitted to have

I am interested in having the following data available:

track and in car video
Track position and track layouts
speed
Gear selection
Lap and Sector times
Throttle position. ( one car runs mechanical injection, the other carburettors)
Engine RPM. (both cars runs CDI but not full ECU's)
Steering angle
Brake pressure. (both cars have adjustable brake bias) so depending on cost separate pressure sensors for front and back would be an advantage
In car lap times/ live data warnings and change light capabilities

At this stage I am thinking a DLI, Dash 3, Video 4 with 2 cameras, and having the 3 hardware units transferable with the cabling, wiring harnesses and sensors mounted permanently in each car. Not sure if there are issues with different gear ratios in each car

What are your thoughts and is what I am considering practical?

I look forward to your comments.

Regards, jpn

osborni

Postby osborni » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:36 pm

You can assign different vehicle constants for each car so stuff like gear ratios will take care of themselves.

However, it would be best if you have identical sensor suits in each car with their own harness and connector blocks.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

jlucas

Postby jlucas » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:15 pm

i think it all comes down to how much time you are ok spending moving units between the cars. The less time you have (or want to spend) the more duplication you'll need. If all the wiring, cameras, & sensors is duplicated in each car you can move the boxes in 5 minutes. If the cars have differences (like the gear ratios you mentioned) you just need to put a different setup file on the Videobox when you swap it to the other car which will only take you 2 min after you have the files saved & setup for each car.

I do a lot of moving: testing different systems, loaning out my system to potential customers, etc... Cameras are a little fiddly to move because of trying to get them perfectly level/square to the car.

Depending how you have the DASH3 mounted it could be easy to move as well since it's just a 1 connector hookup.

Let me know if you have more questions. There is a VIDEO4+DL1 bundle available now so that helps on cost.
Jeremy Lucas
Fast Tech Limited - a Race Technology Dealer

Support

Postby Support » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:33 am

This is entirely possible and many of our customers move their systems between cars. Normally when people have video systems set up in this way, they have separate cameras for each car. This makes life much easier when switching boxes around.
Same applies to sensors, you will need to have the sensors set up for each individual cars. Then as jlucas points out you can have different car files and configurations depending on what is available on each car.

With regards to sensors needed please see below:
Speed, this would be available from the GPS, or you could wire in wheel speed sensor(s)
Gear selection, calculated using gearbox ratios, rpm, etc.
Throttle position. ( one car runs mechanical injection, the other carburettors). There are two options here, running a standard road car TPS sensor. This could possibly be doable on the carburetted car as well, depending on the carb(s) and their installation. Alternatively it is possible to fit a pedal movement sensor, this could be replicated on both cars.
Engine RPM. (both cars runs CDI but not full ECU's) am I right in assuming you are running an ignition only ECU on both cars? does this have an RPM output? alternatively you can use the high level RPM input on the DL1.
Steering angle, steering angle sensors are available. We sell string pots for this purpose which are normally relatively easy to fit to any car.
Brake pressure. (both cars have adjustable brake bias) so depending on cost separate pressure sensors for front and back would be an advantage
These are fairly expensive sensors, so I guess its a question of the value on track you gain by being able to set up your brake balance perfectly.

If you want a quote for a complete system do get in touch with either myself (gummi (at) race-technology.com or local dealer.

WinklyMinkly

Postby WinklyMinkly » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:53 am

I before you buy try to consultant a expert.

Return to “Pre-sales product questions”