How do I display a theoretical best lap

aumuller

How do I display a theoretical best lap

Postby aumuller » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:03 pm

I would like to select the theoretical best lap sectors and plot the lap so I can overlay my fastest individual laps and find out where I am losing time.

Can this be done? I've searched this part of the forum but can't see a similar question being asked.

Regards
Andrew

faraday

Postby faraday » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:32 pm

No DAQ software I've seen combines the fastest sectors into a speed plot. It would most likely have discontinuities at the sector marker points.

It is not necessary to plot the complete lap anyway... just plot the sectors in which you lose time. Use distance on the x-axis. The Lap and Sector times window tells you the sectors to examine.
There are two standard variables available for plotting; Time Slip and Time Slip Rate, which provide a graphical indication of how much a poor lap or sector is costing.
The help "knowledge base" tells you how.

Be careful how you define your sectors, however. Simply breaking a circuit into corners and straights can create impossible theoretical laptimes.
:roll:

tristancliffe

Postby tristancliffe » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:58 pm

It would be a great feature to be able to select the theoretical lap as the x-axis, either as time or distance, and then be able to plot variables on that. Sure there might be discontinuities, but that isn't the end of the world, and it would demonstrate very quickly as easily how believable the theoretical lap is.

Plotting oil temp would probably give silly results in shorter races (or at the beginning of races), but with things like G or gear or speed/rpm it would be useful...
Monoposto 2000 - Reynard 883 Toyota

aumuller

Postby aumuller » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:26 pm

faraday wrote:No DAQ software I've seen combines the fastest sectors into a speed plot. It would most likely have discontinuities at the sector marker points.

It is not necessary to plot the complete lap anyway... just plot the sectors in which you lose time. Use distance on the x-axis. The Lap and Sector times window tells you the sectors to examine.
There are two standard variables available for plotting; Time Slip and Time Slip Rate, which provide a graphical indication of how much a poor lap or sector is costing.

Be careful how you define your sectors, however. Simply breaking a circuit into corners and straights can create impossible theoretical laptimes.
:roll:

Hi,

Thanks for the great response, I hadn't taken into account the speed differences.

Will go away and have a bit of a play around with the data based on what you have said.

Best regards
Andrew

mdm

Postby mdm » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:56 pm

faraday wrote:
No DAQ software I've seen combines the fastest sectors into a speed plot. It would most likely have discontinuities at the sector marker points.

I agree with all of this except the first statement. The Traqview software that comes with the Traqmate system does indeed allow plotting variables for the TBL. Yes, there will likely be discontinuities at the sector boundaries. I agree with faraday that this capability has questionable value, although seeing TBL plots where there are NO discontinuities might be an indication of how achievable that TBL is.

faraday

Postby faraday » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:14 pm

I have not explored Traqmate and Traqview, but I'm tempted to say that if there were no discontinuities, the TBL would be achieveable. :)
Unfortunately, knowing this doesn't overcome the problem that in all but a very simple circuit, there is too much for most drivers to remember, rehearse and recall. To execute the TBL from the situation with many of the sectors from the actual fast lap being other than the best sector results, is too often a dream. :(

There is also not just the problem of how to segment the lap, but what data to include in the TBL analysis.
:?

Return to “General software support”