'gear' standard variable problem and custom formula advice

fast_grandad

'gear' standard variable problem and custom formula advice

Postby fast_grandad » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:07 am

Am using latest version of Analysis software but cannot see how to make 'gear' standard variable work. I can enter a custom formula to calculate revs/speed so can get a noisy trace to deduce gear selected but I don't think this is how this function is supposed to work. I know from reading other threads here that there was a problem with this function but thought it had been fixed in the latest version of s/w.

Separate question:

I have brake and clutch sensors connected to to two DL1 Mk2 analogue inputs, both switching between zero and +12Volts. These display ok on the graphs as noisy voltages but I'd like to clean up the traces by adding a custom formula along the lines of 'if VAR? >5 then 1 else 0' so that I get '1' with the pedal down and '0' with foot off. Whatever I enter I get a syntax error so some guidance on function syntax would be helpful.

Thanks

Paul

tristancliffe

Postby tristancliffe » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:24 pm

The 'Gear' standard variable just works... No need for custom formulas or anything...

1. Enable the variable if it isn't already. This is done in the Variable Manager by ticking the right box and clicking apply.

2. Go into Vehicle Options, and the gears tab, and put in your numerical gear ratios - e.g. 1st = 3.4, 2nd = 2.8, 3rd = 2.1... Plus the final drive ratio and rolling circumference of your driven tyres.

3. Plot an XY Graph of gear, rpm and speed, and see how it works.

Note: Rolling circumference will be difference to static circumference (i.e. diameter * pi), so the best way is to mark the floor and the tyre at one point, roll the car until the tyre mark is at the bottom again, and measure the distance between the two marks on the floor. But by the time you've got tyre expansion and tyre slip whilst driving (in the region of 1% to 10% depending on what you're doing then maybe this accuracy is a moot point).
Monoposto 2000 - Reynard 883 Toyota

fast_grandad

Postby fast_grandad » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:24 pm

Now sorted - many thanks. It turns out that the problem was entering the wheel circumference as 1647 (mm) rather than 1.647 metres, which it obviously didn't like. It pays to read the instructions correctly :oops:

Now, can anyone answer my query re formula syntax?

osborni

Postby osborni » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:47 pm

if(var_xxx>5,1,0)

To figure out rolling circumference, if you have wheel speed sensors, you can just turn on pulse counting, go for a drive then pull off the number of pulses per measured distance.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

tristancliffe

Postby tristancliffe » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:59 pm

Bah, I didn't even see the second question! If I had, I would have helped, as I used pretty much this exact formula with my brake switch.
Monoposto 2000 - Reynard 883 Toyota

fast_grandad

Postby fast_grandad » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:19 pm

thanks for the replies. It seems that the syntax is the same as Excel, not surprisingly, so all working now. No doubt there'll be more questions in the future

Return to “General software support”