How to shorten a video file for a DVD burn?

MadMarx

How to shorten a video file for a DVD burn?

Postby MadMarx » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:45 pm

My Video4 has made a long file with the car standing in the pit after a run. How to remove the part with the car parking.

Cheers
Chris

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:26 am

Chris,

Easiest way is to open up the RUN file in Analysis, load in your lap & sector file, find and highlight the part where you want your video to start then go into File->Export as Video.

Go to Step 2 which shows the start and end time of the lap/sector you have highlighted. Make a note of the START TIME.

Quit out of that and then highlight the lap/sector of the last bit you want in your video. Again do File->Export as Video, go into Step 2 and amend the start time to be the start time you made a note of.

You can adjust these by just over-typing in the Start Time or End Time fields so you might (for example) want to add a few seconds to the start and end. Say for instance you just wanted to output your fastest lap, you'd probably want to start it a little before the s/f line and leave it running a few seconds after the end of the lap to show you laptime etc.

In Step 3 you can choose the output format. If you are using the RT DVD Burn software you should ouput to VD4 (at Full Resoltion and HIGH Quality).

If you are using other products you can choose whatever format they support. If you want to upload the same file to the internet (i.e. Youtube etc.) then MP4 is the best supported.

Also note that using this method you can post-process your overlay. In Step 1 you can optionally choose an overlay file which is then superimposed on your output video. Even if you have processed a live video overlay you can ADD overlay items here. For instance you could create an overlay file with just a bitmap in it of a logo, use this in post-process to brand your eventual output video.

Maxx

MadMarx

Postby MadMarx » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:17 am

hi,

thank you for your help!
it is complicated but doable.

Cheers
Chris

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 am

Chris,

Another possible option is to rename the .VD4 to .MPG and try and edit the file with Video Editing Software. I think Pinnacle Studio will do it.

Maxx

MadMarx

Postby MadMarx » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:47 am

Hi Maxx,

I tried that too but these software has difficulties to work with the files. Seems that there are fragments inside the files that disturb.

After I demuxed and remuxed the files and rewritten the header the software accepted the videos to work with.

Thanks again!

Chris

Return to “General software support”