How to get the results back on the track

MadMarx

How to get the results back on the track

Postby MadMarx » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:16 pm

The main problem for me is, I now have a sophisticated analyzing tool but how do I read and use that tool to make myself faster?

I watched your support video to get a first overview but how to use it at best?

I look on the graphs but what is important? Do I have to work on the car, or more on the driving?

Is there a how to use guide?

Regards
Chris

paul

Postby paul » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:27 pm

Get yourself on one of the Race Technology Training courses. I went to the one below, Dr Andrew Durrant took the session and I found it very helpful as an introduction to the DL1 and the software.
I'd just installed a DL1 and had the question of where to start with the analysis software. The course gave me a good idea of what the software is capable of.

Cannot see that the next course has been announced, perhaps drop an email to sales?

Regards,
Paul

From the November Newsletter;
The next on-site training course to be held at the Race Technology offices in Nottingham will be on 25th November 2010. We will cover the basics of how to set up the DL1 Data Logger, how to use the Analysis Software and most importantly we show you ways to analyse your performance and how you can reduce your lap times.

If you wish to book a place on this free training course or need any further information please contact sales@race-technology.com

DMKMM

Postby DMKMM » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:32 pm

Well... in my humble opinion

I'm no professional.. but i believe the basic idea is:

Having enough knowledge about racing/fast driving to know what's "ideal", recording yourself (data logger) compare that to what's "ideal", then make the necessary changes wether it be you or your vehilce.

ie, following the proper line on a corner, knowing how many laterial G your car actually can hold in a corner

another pretty useful tool.. is "lap times" basically you do a bunch of laps, the software will tell you which was your best lap, which was ur best section time... then with that information, you can figure out what you did on the faster lap, that you DIDNT do on the slower lap... and with this knowledge gained, the next time you do laps, hopefully you will become better.

Besides what's explained above, their is also the whole "testing/diagnosis" thing... meaning using specialized sensors to record data while your driving.

Example (s):

using a thermocouple (sensor for recoding temp) on a section of exhaust pipe "that you think" might be too close to a fuel line

using linear sensors (measures distance) on the suspension, because you have concerns about the car leaning too much in a corner (maybe if i change this my lap times will decrease)

It can be a bit overwhelming at first... but once you figure out what the software is telling you, and you think of ways that you can improve ur self based on that... you pretty much open the flood gates of awesomeness.

But like anything esle... everything RT is just a tool, in my opinion it is no more important then a socket set or a hammer. Just depends on how you utlize it, the more you put in, the more you get out.

Here's a tastey little book on the jist of it, it even uses RT for the majority of its examples

http://www.amazon.com/Competition-Data- ... 184584162X

i believe that RT offers some training courses

hope this helps

osborni

Postby osborni » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:18 pm

What DMKMM said.

It also helps to have in-car instruction now and then. The data is great, but if you don make a "mistake" and snap of a really fast sector or lap, then the data might tell you that you are going as fast as you can. i.e., you might be super-consistently average.

A pro in the car can tell you that you are leaving speed on the table or you need a different brake technique or you need to use that gator to get the car to slide and help with rotation, etc.

My speed leveled out for a while. I was able to put 8-10 laps down within 0.2-3 seconds easy, but those laps where still 5-7 seconds slower then I should be. Until an instructor told me I was leaving 2-3 mph per corner on the table.

The "theoretical" analysis tools helps with this. Even with all the assumptions, it's pretty good at telling you where the gaps in performance are.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

MadMarx

Postby MadMarx » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:32 pm

osborni wrote:....
My speed leveled out for a while. I was able to put 8-10 laps down within 0.2-3 seconds easy, but those laps where still 5-7 seconds slower then I should be. ....

That is the problem I'm fighting with. I'm very consistent with my driving, like you do, and quite fast too as I'm somewhere on the first 5 positions on the grid but I have always the feel that I'm slow, not at the limit.

I want to make sure that this is really the limit on every spot on the track or do I lose time somewhere.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tr4racing/T ... 9788066034

Difficult is to find the spot which are not perfect.
And what about different lines you can drive...which is best?

Hard for me to find these things out.

Cheers
Chris

DMKMM

Postby DMKMM » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:40 pm

MadMarx wrote:And what about different lines you can drive...which is best?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=racing+line

:P

wiki ftw

and if ya want the physics behind it

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articl ... le1614.asp

MadMarx

Postby MadMarx » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:45 pm

I know a few things about race lines but the trouble starts when things like

the driven distance,
braking into corners,
double apex,
off camber corners

do influent the driving more than the theoretical race line you would chose.

'When to switch over to a different line to gain speed?

DMKMM

Postby DMKMM » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:47 pm

basically the best line is:

the shortest distance, that makes you lose the least amount of speed...

its all situational

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:46 pm

There is a link on this page ..

http://www.race-technology.com/related_links_2_44.html

.. to a couple of lengthy forum posts (openpitlane) which are almost articles that I wrote some time ago. There may be some stuff in there you'd find useful.

Maxx

Return to “General software support”