Variable comparison between two runs

turfburn

Variable comparison between two runs

Postby turfburn » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:42 pm

I posted this over on your vendor section at sccaforums.com so I apologize for the double post, but doesn't look like you guys stay too active over there.

I'm trying to do some comparison on braking and acceleration between drivers in an autocross situation and I can't figure out how to create the info I need.

Here are the things I'm trying to look at:
Location of start of braking between drivers
Rate of Braking applicaton
Relative rate between drivers
Same 3 things again for acceleration.

Now I figured out how to do rate of braking without issue, that is just the derivative of the longitudinal acceleration.

What I can't figure out yet is how to do a comparison chart or table or anything between two or more runs. Something like the time slip graph or value really. There doesn't seem to be a way to pick or reference the variable to multiple runs etc.

Any tips on how to go about getting at these values?

Thanks!

Steve

osborni

Postby osborni » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:27 pm

Create a car file for each driver (assuming a different car for each driver?)

Load in all the run files and associate each one to a car file (inside the "Run Manager") (sorry, using the V8 beta, so might be slightly different)

Set your start and end markers and any sector markers.

Then look at the "quick graph", or the "XY graph"

You'll need to pick the runs or the sectors you want to compare. It's all graphical on the strip charts..... You'll need to mess around a bit to find the right options and stuff.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

turfburn

Postby turfburn » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:32 pm

Actually in the same car. I'll try creating the car file.

I'm trying to do something other than just the graphs though. Rather than having to try to find the points and measure what the distance actually is from the graphs I want to try to report it out. Ideally what we plan to do is at the race after runs we'll compare the time slip between runs and narrow down a couple of corners. Then looking at each corner we'll compare the faster driver to the slower driver and determine what braking location, rate of braking etc was employed to see if tendencies arise from that. Doing that between runs at an event it has to be pretty quick and accurate so I want to try to have a table or bar chart that gives me that info quickly. That make sense?

I'll try doing what you recommended and see if I can manipulate that to what I'm looking for.

thanks!

Steve

osborni

Postby osborni » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:50 pm

Ah, more clear now.

I've never done it the way you want.

I turn on the "show value" option in the graphs. You can display the distance. Default is KM, but you can define a user defined variable to do the conversion from KM to feet or something shorter then a kilometer :). It's pretty easy to pick off the distance at an event that way.

I'm guessing, but you would need to get creative with some user defined variables to create a "flag" then do some delta math between runs. I fear it will be more complicated than you want though.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

turfburn

Postby turfburn » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:09 pm

At least with the info you are giving me I can probably get closer. Doesn't bother me if the creation of the variables etc is complicated, as long as I only have to do it once :)

Thanks again for the help! If I do figure it out I will post all the details.

CharlesElliott

Postby CharlesElliott » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:18 am

I don't beleive you can create a formula that compares two runs if that's what you are trying to do.

However, Analysis does allow you to set a 'base' lap against which a second set of data is compared (for time slip etc.). So you could choose a base lap from Run 1 (with driver 1) and compare with a lap from Run 2 (with driver 2). But you couldn't specifically create a formula to compare the two.

turfburn

Postby turfburn » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:32 pm

CharlesElliott wrote:I don't beleive you can create a formula that compares two runs if that's what you are trying to do.

However, Analysis does allow you to set a 'base' lap against which a second set of data is compared (for time slip etc.). So you could choose a base lap from Run 1 (with driver 1) and compare with a lap from Run 2 (with driver 2). But you couldn't specifically create a formula to compare the two.

The base lap thing that time slip uses/does would meet my needs without issue. How do you make it so that you create that comparison between the data from a run relative to that base lap?

turfburn

Postby turfburn » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:39 pm

jlucas wrote:The radio button (checkable box) next to the lap time in the lap & sector time window defines which lap is being used as the basis for comparison. By default it used the best theoretical unless you check a different lap.

Yep, I understand that. Just not sure how to get the variable to reference against that. I'm going to spend a few hours working on it today, see what I come up with I guess.

Thanks!

Steve

CharlesElliott

Postby CharlesElliott » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:30 am

As well as selecting the radio button, click the lap text itself. That will then put the trace on the reveleant graphs (if it is the first lap you have slected, it will be black). Then click on your second lap from the other run/driver and it will appear red over the first one.

Return to “General software support”