Data only video?

V8Mike

Data only video?

Postby V8Mike » Sat May 14, 2011 12:53 am

I know it's a bit of a strange question, but is it possible to export a video file with just the data gauges and no underlying camera footage?
I do my final editing in Premiere Elements and would like to use my original source video, which hasn't been converted to VD4 and then exported out of the analysis package as MP4 and help reduce any video conversion losses.

Thanks, Mike...

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Sun May 15, 2011 9:08 am

Mike,

You 'might' be able to use a bitmap file to 'blank out' the video. So if you created a 720x576 green bitmap, added this to your layout and set z-order to 'bottom' you gauges should show over the top with a totally green background. You could then use premieres green screen processing to superimpose your video over the green bits.

If the bitmap option didnt work you could create a 'new' video equal to the length of your data (which you can crop) and have the new video just of a green screen. Convert 'that' video to VD4 and use that to create you initial 'gauges only' video.

Maxx

V8Mike

Postby V8Mike » Sat May 21, 2011 4:33 pm

I did try something similar in the week, but I used a z-order of top. I'll have a try tonight and see if I can get it to work.

Thanks for the pointer, Mike...

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Sat May 21, 2011 7:06 pm

I was doing come video overlay stuff so decided to give it a try, works a treat.

Example below (note there wasnt supposed to be a pointer/readout for revs as not connected).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBXfiFyTrtI

The VGL file is here, generally all you need to do is set the z-order to bottom for the greenscreen and top for everything else

http://www.driver-coaching.com/files/greenscreen.VGL

Maxx

V8Mike

Postby V8Mike » Mon May 23, 2011 5:24 pm

Thanks for that.

I did try over the weekend, but I had a weekend from hell. First corrupted the Dash2, then found I can't connect up the ECU Serial module I have and then when I tried to create a green screen background Windows paint crashed!! It's MSPaint for heavens sake. So I've had to rebuild the whole laptop Sunday.

Anyway I digress. I'm glad it's a working solution. Hope fully I won't lose as much of the video quality.

Will post up my final vid, when it's done.

Thanks, Mike...

Return to “General software support”