DL1 and Dash2 Rpm erratic on Dash

quattro64

DL1 and Dash2 Rpm erratic on Dash

Postby quattro64 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:26 am

Hi All
I have a DL1 and Dash2 and am having trouble getting a smooth accurate RPM display on the dash. The DL1 appears to be reading and logging the RPM correctly however the display on the dash is very erratic. the display keeps jumping up off the scale complete with flashing shift lights. In the Dash2 config in the filtering section I have set the maximum rate of change to 500 and number of samples to average over as 4. I also notice that there is a note saying " Important: Note that these settings depend on the sample rate set in the DL1/2 configuration software" but I cant find any information on this.
Please could someone help or at least point me in the right direction to find relevant information in the knowledge base if I have missed it.
Incidentaly the signal to the DL1 is high level from the -ve terminal of the coil gioing into spark input on the DL1.

faraday

Postby faraday » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:39 am

I must confess, it has usually been late at night and after a glass or three that I've contemplated the underlying maths or science of the "max rate of change" number.
Subsequently, the values that have found use in my experience have only added to the Ultimate Question, etc, but have never been 42. :(
Perhaps it is timely that Andy or Martin write a para or two on this feature, or if such documentation already exists, provide a link in the help wiki.
:|

quattro64

Postby quattro64 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:00 pm

It has certainly got me going. I need to test this car soon and dont relish doing it without a rev counter. Even if I can isolate where the issue is it would help.

faraday

Postby faraday » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:10 pm

You may have noted David Rowley's recent troubles. I have no R-T Dash experience. Is this starting to look like a hardware issue?

quattro64

Postby quattro64 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:21 pm

I am not sure, the rest of the functions on the dash that I am using so far appear to be working ok, I am introducing one feature at a time, but cant seem to get a reliable RPM reading.

faraday

Postby faraday » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:39 pm

How far are you from Nottingham?
I'm in Australia!
:cry:

quattro64

Postby quattro64 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:47 pm

About 200 miles from Nottingham - still thats closer than you!!

faraday

Postby faraday » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:59 pm

David Rowley is West Midlands. Is that within 30 miles?
He lists an email address. Maybe you could compare notes privately. :?:

DavidRowley

Postby DavidRowley » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:06 pm

Exactly the same issue Quattro.. im having i did all the connections one at a time leavig RPM till last and me and you both have identical issues.

all the change lights flashing and the display dull and irractic

Race-technology boys help Required please

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:59 pm

I had this "feature" too on my Elise. If you don't mind downloading a huge file from my homepage you may watch this Video.

The file is some 450MB but you may stop the download and watch part of the video. [/url]

Support

Postby Support » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:36 pm

Hi,

If you like you can email me a run file and I can check the quality of the RPM data... the problem can be that the analysis is so good at filtering bad RPM data that it can hide some problems.

Please email data to me "andrew at race-technology.com".

Also, I would suggest trying other sources of RPM.. is the car fuel injected? I've had good experiences with picking up from the injector signal - it tends to be much cleaner than picking up from the coil.

Kind regards,

Andy

DavidRowley

Postby DavidRowley » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:10 pm

its a ford pinto Twin 45s theres no injectores.

ill forward the logging file not the run file then or both to you support

faraday

Postby faraday » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:18 pm

Raw .run files are sometimes best.

DavidRowley

Postby DavidRowley » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:27 pm

micheal i see in the film that your dash fixed and worked after 3.59 mins. but before was flashing at 4500RPM so there must be somthing. affeting the dash two or the data ive set my run files to andy lets hope he can shed some light. soon.

nice lines by the way .. but i want the ultima that was infront :P

Support

Postby Support » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:04 am

Hi Dave,

This is the problem, if you turn off all the filtering in the analysis software the raw RPM signal being logged by the DL1, looks like this:

It's horrible... very noisy indeed.

If you set the filtering in the analysis software correctly then you can clean it up lots and make it look "something like" a nice trace. The DASH2 does have very similar filtering options and I'm sure that with some experimentation with the settings you could make it also look close - however to be honest the only 100% reliable solution if to get a better signal on the RPM input of the DL1.

Getting a "clean" RPM signal is probably the #1 support question that I get - so the other week I updated the support section relating to this:

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... RPMSensors

I don't know anything about your car, but could you look over the options given and see if one of the more reliable methods might be possible? Alternatively it's a case of checking the installation of the coil pick and seeing if this can be improved sufficiently.

Kind regards,

Andy

Return to “General support questions”