Video output option in action

frog968

Video output option in action

Postby frog968 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:15 pm

Havent seen many examples of how the data overlay works using the video option in the Analysis sw, so thought I would upload one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEw8uapjUfw

This is a lap or 2 of a 968CS at Mt Panorama, Bathurst, NSW, Australia showing speed, sector times, rpm, and long and lat g's.
(Tried to get the display to show lap time, but cant get it to work.

The CODECs are a bit flaky - only a few of them work reliably. They are also a little bit out of date.
And as far as I can work out, the DV option only produces NTSC video (ie frame size) Cant find any options to change it.

Support

Postby Support » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:31 pm

Cool!! Thanks for that!

Support

Postby Support » Wed May 21, 2008 11:24 am

Very nice, good to see the video output feature being used. It certainly doesn't seem that many people make use of it. We are aiming to put some video4 footage on there in the near future. It seems like a good way of advertising for free :-)

Martin

chrisp993

Postby chrisp993 » Thu May 22, 2008 12:15 pm

Video option would no doubt be used more if (a) it worked reliably and (b) it was compatible with a reasonable range of video codecs (c) it was promoted and sold :?

There are other posts on how difficult the video tool is is to use, yet when it works its a dream in terms of lap to lap analysis - the ability to display and step through freeze frames from different laps to compare lines, inputs etc. is incredibe - the video output is just the icing on the cake. But :x it is just too flaky to be a useful tool right now .......

I would cheerfully pay several hundred $$$ for a video option that worked as described!

tiburonski

Postby tiburonski » Thu May 22, 2008 2:37 pm

I would whish for a video output which also supports audio not only video...

Dan in Saint Louis

Postby Dan in Saint Louis » Thu May 22, 2008 4:26 pm

tiburonski wrote:I would whish for a video output which also supports audio not only video...

And that would be so you can hear the driver say, "Oh, s**t!"?
--Dan in Saint Louis

tiburonski

Postby tiburonski » Thu May 22, 2008 6:29 pm

Dan in Saint Louis wrote:
tiburonski wrote:I would whish for a video output which also supports audio not only video...

And that would be so you can hear the driver say, "Oh, s**t!"?

no, I mean the videos with the data overlay have no audio. that's a problem because it's good to hear the engine rev...

stephen hooker

Video option

Postby stephen hooker » Fri May 23, 2008 9:32 am

Had a chance to use the video option during the beta testing of V7. Found it quite easy to use and of some use for tuning to driver (me!), but did not see the value in having to pay extra for it. Decoded the Samsung files with no problems at all.
Stephen Hooker
Sydney, Australia

chrisp993

Postby chrisp993 » Fri May 23, 2008 11:15 am

Stephen

What format / codec are your Samsung files.

You didn't have a poblem sync'ing the video and data? Could you get 3 laps to display simultaneously, or just 2?

Chris

stephen hooker

Samsung codecs

Postby stephen hooker » Sat May 24, 2008 9:55 am

The only information I have from Media Player is:
704 x 576 *.avi video using DivX Custom Decoder Filter. Audio with AC3 Filter.
I only do hillclimbs, so only one lap applies, and there was no obvious problems with the sync.
I would expect that with the considerable GPS drift experienced by DL1 units down here in Oz that sync over successive laps would be lost.
Stephen Hooker
Sydney, Australia

chrisp993

Postby chrisp993 » Sat May 24, 2008 10:32 am

Thanks for the info.

So, were you sync'ing by FF/RW the video to find the spot that matched the data, or did you assume start of video = start of data. A lot of frustration is that with most video codecs it isn't possible to FF/RW in the video file to find the right spot, only possible to Play the file, which is very time consuming.

BTW, once sync'ed you are trying to keep the video time in sync with GPS time, which shouldn't have any drift in it - should be really accurate :?:

stephen hooker

Video sync

Postby stephen hooker » Sun May 25, 2008 9:14 am

Accurate? . . . you would think so . . . I had to FF/RW to nominate start and finish sync points to get it to make sense. Like I said originally I only used it during the early beta testing of V7 when the feature was not locked out. It may be completely different now, so hopeully someone who has used it recently can provide their feedback.
Stephen Hooker
Sydney, Australia

Support

Postby Support » Thu May 29, 2008 8:19 am

The use of many different CODECs on PCs has caused us some major headaches with regards to getting a system set up which will work on all computers.
You do have to set up start and finish sync points to get it looking good, and then this only works assuming that the rates of logging are consistent on the video recorder.
Obviously this will all go out the windown with the new VIDEO4 since there are no synchronisation issues or decoding issues there since we have full control over the video and data streams at the same time.

Martin

Return to “General support questions”