Simple Telemetry?

kmrobinson

Simple Telemetry?

Postby kmrobinson » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:55 pm

Would it be possible to use a device such as this to remotely monitor the output of a DL-2 unit? The application would be in a FSAE vehicle on a course no larger than 100m in any direction from the pit area, so range would not be an issue. In theory, adding a null modem cable in the stream should not change the behavior of these transmitters.
2008 Texas A&M Formula SAE

Support

Postby Support » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:02 pm

Hi,

Yes - I would expect that to work quite well. The RT serial data stream is quite robust, so if there are some errors and drop outs it should still sort itself out very quickly.

Let me know how it goes!

Andy

DavidRowley

Postby DavidRowley » Thu May 15, 2008 11:40 pm

hi Guys i perchased on ebay from hong kong Wirless Serial cards on 915mhz

these cards are limited to 19k2 transmission but i configured the DL1 down to 19k2 and hey presto i have wirless Telemetry they use 5V so conecting to the ref [5v] on the DL1 was easy and 5v is found on a laptop on the USB port so powering both devices is simple enough

the range tested so fare is almost 650 meters not bad concidering no line of sight so im impressed the cards cost me 75 quid for the pair a little wiring and soldeing of 9pin D sockets and total spent with small project box from RS was a little over 90 pounds

i have configured the monitor with a typical car dash look and all the data work live even at the slower speed of 19k2 i notice RT use 112k serial speeds i looked into Wirless serial cards with 112k speeds and WOW there exspencive over 300 pounds for the cards alone.

ill post some pictures of the cards and my installation at the week end as im working away

Support

Postby Support » Wed May 21, 2008 10:17 am

That sounds interesting, if you do turn the baud rate down to 19.2k you will need to make sure that you turn the rates down on some of the outputs otherwise there will be too much data to go through at 19.2k and you will get errors when the internal buffer overflows.

Martin

DavidRowley

Postby DavidRowley » Thu May 22, 2008 11:31 am

ok thanks for the heads up ive not yet seen Errors but they maybe there your software is good at hiding non critical errors in its smoothing.

dave

Return to “General support questions”