No RUN data recorded

grahamblackwell

No RUN data recorded

Postby grahamblackwell » Tue May 20, 2008 8:41 pm

Tried my new DL1 three times now, and each time it creates a folder on the RAMDISK but it fails to record any run data.

The car is sat still whilst I try the device out.

Is the folder created when I hit the red button? The green light comes on to show it is logging, but the memory card only shows a folder RT with the date appended, and nothing in the folder.

What could the problem be?

I'm using a Kodak 128MB picture card, formatted in FAT using the Race Technology software. If the DL1 creates the folder, I'm assuming it can also write the data file.

grahamblackwell

Postby grahamblackwell » Tue May 20, 2008 8:58 pm

Had another quick play.

It has created a second folder, inside the one titled RT080520, called RUN___01.RUN but again, this is also empty.

RED GPS lock is blinking, as is the green LED adjacent to it.
RED power led is solid, as is the green LED adjacent to it.

My old DL90 never refused to record anything.

DavidRowley

Postby DavidRowley » Tue May 20, 2008 10:23 pm

just a point if the GPS is blinking its not locked

and data what is connected to the DL1 nly GPS? or inputs.?

faraday

Postby faraday » Wed May 21, 2008 3:34 am

Graham has achieved GPS lock to get the named directory, assuming his DL1 configuration is factory default.
In any case, lock isn't necessary to create a log (.RUN file) by button pressing.
The accelerometers will be recorded even if the GPS is junk. Factory default has AV channels on too, so there should be milliVolt stuff there too.

FAT format is probably FAT 32 by default, which is probably the problem.
Our little darlings need FAT 16. :(

Please confirm that your card is FAT 16 formatted.

:)

grahamblackwell

Postby grahamblackwell » Wed May 21, 2008 5:18 am

I used the RT software to format the card. It opened a DOS window and performed the format from there. I'm assuming therefore that it formatted it correctly.

I'm using XP SP2

If I right click the card and check its properties from Explorer it says "FAT" and not "FAT32".

Would it ever report as FAT16?

How can I be sure to format it in FAT16 format?

Is there a command line switch from DOS that forces FAT16, or do I need some special software?

Anyway, if the DL1 creates the folders, shirley it can therefore write data to the card?

grahamblackwell

Postby grahamblackwell » Wed May 21, 2008 5:20 am

I'm only using one analogue input, connected to a RT supplied Wabash throttle pos'n sensor.

I've not hooked the DL1 to my laptop to configure it. Just taken it straight from the box. Manufacture date is April 16 2008.

faraday

Postby faraday » Wed May 21, 2008 6:00 am

It sounds like you have formatted the card correctly.
When you say the .RUN file is empty, do you mean it has a size of 0 kb, or nothing is displayed in Analysis?

Is a message given if you attempt to open it in Analysis?

The DL1 is configured by a SETUP.BIN file on the CF card root directory.
This does not (usually) need to be present, because the DL1 should be shipped with the default configuration.
The serial connection to PC is to reflash firmware (or view output "real-time" in Monitor), which is a deeper level of instructing the DL1. These instructions are not user selectable, whereas the Configuration Tool that writes the SETUP.BIN file gives the user numerous options.
You should explore this in due course anyway. It enables you to change logging rates and even turn off channels. It also controls what is available as serial output. The tool is quite simple and well documented.
On occasion, I've had to manually create an RT directory to get things happening, but you've got past this point anyway.
As it is quite easy to create a SETUP.BIN, and pretty difficult (I dare not say impossible) to create permanent damage, perhaps you should try this.
One of the uses of the Config Tool is to create your own folder and filenames (within stated guidelines). If you make a change here, you will at least see if the communication between card and unit is "sensible".
If (under the Update rates tab) you have an AV channel enabled, there will be a small (close to zero) but changing voltage recorded with nothing physically connected to the terminal.
If however, you wish to view this logged "voltage" in Analysis, that "External" input has to be turned on. This is done from the Variable Manager.

Of course, if the file has 0 kb size, you will not find any hay, let alone the damned needle :!:

grahamblackwell

Postby grahamblackwell » Wed May 21, 2008 7:54 am

There is no data file in the RUN folder.

So reading the card from my compact flash USB card reader, I can see the following directory structure

\RT080520\RUN___01.RUN

So there is a folder called RUN___01.RUN, and in that folder, there are no files.

I'm assuming then from what you are saying that the folder ending with .RUN shouldn't be a folder at all, but it should be a file?

How odd?

I'll hook it up to the laptop in the garage tonight, and see if I can follow the instructions you've described for creation of a .BIN file.

I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that you simply installed a formatted FAT16 card in the DL1 and it took care of everything else.

What version of Firmware should I be using? I wonder if I've been given the very latest (as the DL1 is barely a month old) and its developed a bug (sorry, undocumented feature).

I'm competing on Saturday at MIRA (UK) so I really want to get this sorted before then. Keep the ideas coming.

I've also found a 64MB Sandisk flash card, which I formatted with my camera to put it in to FAT16 format (as XP doesn't support FAT16 by the looks of things), and I'll also try that tonight too.

Could be a format issue, couldn't it? Weird that I'm getting folders created with the filename, instead of files.....

Support

Postby Support » Wed May 21, 2008 8:56 am

I strongly suggest trying a different CF card. It could well be a speed issue on the card.

Regards,
Martin

grahamblackwell

Postby grahamblackwell » Wed May 21, 2008 9:00 am

Will do Martin. Just trying to be green by re-using my old camera cards. Seems a shame not to use them, as 32MB, 64MB and 128MB are ideal for the amount of data captured whilst sprinting in the UK.

Is there a specific make/model of card you would recommend, as I can get one ordered in time for the weekend.

Have you seen this issue before, where the DL1 creates a folder instead of a file with the .RUN extension?

:lol: I'd try my new 4GB card for my camera, only its too large to format in FAT/FAT16 format.

faraday

Postby faraday » Wed May 21, 2008 9:03 am

It did look like a format issue.

The more you say (and as you say) the stranger it gets. I've assumed you were being a little wayward (sorry) with language and that the .RUN was in fact a file.

Definitely try Configuration to make your own SETUP.BIN.

You are correct with your statement that the DL1 should look after itself as long as the card is correctly formatted.

The DL1 has created what you say is a directory but it seems to have an illegal number of characters.
Do not concern yourself with firmware yet. Until you have a log (.run) file to load to Analysis, you will not be able to ascertain what firmware is actually resident.

To get V.7 software properly working on any machine you normally have to uninstall previous versions. This uninstall must be done with R-T's uninstall utility, not the Windows Add/Remove... one. I can't remember if there was such an executable in V.6, which I assume you were using with your DL90. It is now found in V.7 > Other in the Start> All Programs tree.
This can't be your current problem, however.

I do not know how long it takes for production to get in the hands of victims, oops users, or what the assembly/pre-delivery is. How far are you from Eastwood?

A phone call to R-T might be necessary to get some prompt attention, but it would be good if you could do so having tried the other CF card and/or a written a known SETUP.BIN first.
I just see we have Martin's attention...

:D

Support

Postby Support » Wed May 21, 2008 9:09 am

The problem of files being named incorrectly has been seen before and has always been a card compatibility issue.
I have managed to format 4GB cards for use in the DL1, you have to do it from the dos prompt and force the OS to use FAT16 and specify the sector size. Not something I would recommend, I only did it see if I could :-)

Martin

grahamblackwell

Postby grahamblackwell » Wed May 21, 2008 9:15 am

DOS - how that takes me back! The good old days.

OK, so I'll try the 64MB SANDISK card tonight, formatted in my Canon Camera, as that will defo be in FAT16 (not 32).

I do have a 1GB card on order form Equanet, but its taking weeks to come. Really hope this fixes the problem. I'm a huge fan of RT kit, so I've no doubts about the quality of the unit itself.

Looking at ordering one of those clever Dash devices too. Shame my DTA E48-EXP isn't compatible with the DL1 though. :roll:

Support

Postby Support » Wed May 21, 2008 9:28 am

As soon as we can make some sense of the checksum on the DTA E48 datastream we will have an ECU interface to convert the data to serial format for the DASH or DL1. It just doesn't work as documented but I am chasing it.
I would definately recommend using the 1GB card, we have had problems with small old cards and generally don't use anything smaller than 256MB.

Martin

faraday

Postby faraday » Wed May 21, 2008 9:36 am

Ordinary CF cards from 256MB to 1GB are getting hard to come by in Oz. I assume this is a worldwide issue.

If so, does R-T have a countermeasure in the pipeline?

Return to “General support questions”