HP modeler?

disquek

HP modeler?

Postby disquek » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:13 am

When making tuning choices, it's always choosing the best compromise. It's never an obvious win-win choice.

With that in mind, I'm wondering if there is a way to use the DL1 data to help me make these choices.

For example:
Some short twisty tracks favor a torquey setup. Other longer straighter tracks favor HP.

If I have data from a fast lap at a given track and if I have data from two dyno pulls (one with a torquey setup and one with a HP setup), I want a way to model a lap with the two sets of dyno data and use the model to figure out the optimum setup.

I know this is a big request. But it's something that's doable and, to my knowledge, no other DAQ vendor offers.

-Kyle

Turby

Postby Turby » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:36 am

The way I have done this in the past is as follows:

1) Load in run into analysis,
2) export data into CSV format
3) convert it into motec format - this is the difficult / semi-undocumented part (search the net for details)
4) import converted data into LapSim
5) LapSim allows you to model engine bhp / torque curves and gearbox / final drive ratios / vehicle weigth etc easily - however bear in times are from a 100% perfect driver... good indication though :)

Stan

Re: HP modeler?

Postby Stan » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:44 pm

disquek wrote:I know this is a big request. But it's something that's doable and, to my knowledge, no other DAQ vendor offers.-Kyle

There are many simplifying assumptions which can help out a great deal. For one thing, what is the gearing situation? If this is fixed for example, things get *much* simpler. Also, can you get baseline data from comparable cars? Cuts way down on the stack of fudge factors. After all, if we could precisely calculate lap times in all cases, we could skip the racing. Just about.

Support

Postby Support » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:13 pm

We have discussed adding some vehicle modelling to the software a number of times . It is certainly not high on the list of priorities, but it would be relatively straightforward to do (particularly given that our chief software engineer has a background in vehicle modelling).

Martin

Return to “General support questions”