CompactFlash / Magnetic Fields

fiatracer

CompactFlash / Magnetic Fields

Postby fiatracer » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:03 pm

Do magnetic fields affect / corrupt CompactFlash cards? I remember it was an issue with floppy discs (showing my age and inexperience with the modern world!) Just wondering if I have to keep my flash card well separated from the GPS antenna when packing my DL1 in the carry case.

Stan

Re: CompactFlash / Magnetic Fields

Postby Stan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:58 am

fiatracer wrote:Do magnetic fields affect / corrupt CompactFlash cards? I remember it was an issue with floppy discs (showing my age and inexperience with the modern world!) Just wondering if I have to keep my flash card well separated from the GPS antenna when packing my DL1 in the carry case.

No worries. The only CF cards that are magnetic sensitive are the IBM/Hitachi microdrives which are little hard drives. Sandisk extreme cards are super rugged. Mine have sat out in the sun, gone through the washer and dryer and so forth. Just worry about your driving!

GrahamB

Postby GrahamB » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:05 am

If you cartwheel your bike at a 190km/h, smash the front panel of the DL-1 and put a 15 degree bend in the card, the top falls off. Could still read the data... :lol:

Return to “General support questions”