Lights are on but nobody's home

Dave_E71

Lights are on but nobody's home

Postby Dave_E71 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:24 am

I'm having trouble with a DL1. The power Light is on, the GPS has lock on several satallites and Status is also as expected, the Logging light turns on and off with the button. The unit doesn't write any files to the CF card. I am able to connect the unit to a computer and monitor it.

I have,

a) reformatted the CF card and put setup.bin on it
b) flashed the firmware to V6
c) used the same CF card in another DL1 (firmware V6) which worked

Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks
Dave
Hey, it keeps me out of the bars
www.hydroracer.net

Stan

Postby Stan » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:55 am

I'd try reformatting again. Needs to be FAT16 else you'll get those symptoms.

Dave_E71

Postby Dave_E71 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:55 am

Yes I have and the same card works in my other DL1

Dave
www.hydroracer.net

Stan

Postby Stan » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:11 pm

Dave_E71 wrote:Yes I have and the same card works in my other DL1 Dave

I hear ya and mean no disrespect. It's just that 'puters tend to be weird at times. Once you get it fixed it will stay fixed. Sometimes I will fix something in some program and I am not 100% sure what I did except that the thing works.

Maybe the two DL1s have different firmware revisions or something. V6 has an explicit reformat option too. I've never used it though. Or you can do it in DOS, but you have to make sure it does it the right way. Or use a digital camera that takes CF cards, that will format properly too, believe it or not as I discovered. At least Nikon's do! Maybe try erasing everything off the card and reformatting a few different ways to be sure. If you can feed the DL1 12 volts indoors you can see wassup a little bit faster. How about the config file, anything unusual in there? And try some other CF cards perhaps.

Dave_E71

Postby Dave_E71 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:07 am

None taken Stan, and I work with the stupid things every day myself and know exactly what you are saying.

I should have added this to my earlier post but I have tried different CF cards also with the same results.
The DL1 is question acted exactly the same before and after I flashed the firmware to V6.

I happen to have a Nikon D70 sitting here beside the computer and will try formatting the CF card in it.

I indeed have 12 volts handy, we're using them in outboard hydroplanes so they're self contained in a waterproof enclosure.

I start another thread on this but I ask here first, has anybody had any luck getting reliable RPM readings using an inductive pick-up from a 2 stroke? Depending on the class I expect to see 7800 to 13500 RPM, but I'm getting a lot of noise in the signal.
I've tried moving the pick-up to different places on the ignition lead, the wires going from the engine to the DL1 are shielded. The DL1 and the engine share a common ground. I have a tach lead from a Digitron inductive tach that I'm going to try next to see if something designed for this will make a difference. I have 2 other people running DL1s in their boats that are very happy with them, one is using an MSD ignition the other is an inboard hydroplane which uses an automobile engine so they're using the 5V signal from the ignition module.

Thanks
Dave
www.hydroracer.net

Return to “General support questions”