Formula Ford 1600 RPM Pick Up Problem

emersom

Formula Ford 1600 RPM Pick Up Problem

Postby emersom » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:16 am

Firstly I have used DL1's for over 4 years and think they are wonderful products.

One thing that I have always had a problem with is getting a reliable and consistent rev trace and so lately have just used the GPS speed and G force for data comparison. Our old fashioned Ford Crossflow engines use a distributor and coil. We have used your RPM pick up either stright onto the HT lead (with it wrapped in silver foil as suggested) or coil and get poor results. Any ideas?

I know PI, Stack, Aim and others use a rev box (a small box cable tied onto the HT lead). These seem to either amplify the rev trace or stabilise it. Do you have a similar system?

Please help.

pault

Postby pault » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:35 pm

I started using a DL-1 with my FF this year. While my RPM traces are noisy, they are there and they match the speed trace when properly scaled. I am using the P-clip on the #1 cylinder lead, no foil. I'm also running a Petronix unit in the distributor as opposed to points. I have results from one weekend and I can send you some data if you would like to compare results.

Paul

pault

ANother pickup method

Postby pault » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:29 pm

You might also try this suggestion from another topic.

http://www.race-technology.com/forum/vi ... php?t=1460

Paul

Return to “General support questions”