Using SD to CF Adapter

camaroz1985

Using SD to CF Adapter

Postby camaroz1985 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:48 pm

Has anyone had experience with one of these adapters?

SD to CF Type 1 Adapter

My laptop only has an SD card reader and I would prefer to use this over carrying an extra card reader with me if I want to compare data between sessions.

Thanks,

Ryan

grendel

Postby grendel » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:19 am

Didn't anybody try?

I think it will work. I guess the adapter doesn't do any conversions but only guyde the data through. I don't have any info though.

I'll buy one and try.

It already has an advantage of letting the CF adapter stay in the slot. Inserting and pulling it thousands of times might be bad for it in the long run.

And like Ryan says it would mean one less cable and reader to carry as all laptops nowadays have card readers (but CF).

Peter Carroll/Toronto

Postby Peter Carroll/Toronto » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:18 pm

Did it work?

Looking at specs they seem pretty slow. Though for the DL1 thay may be fast enough. No way they will do video <1MB/s.
Peter Carroll, Toronto, Canada
DL1 and Dash2 - http://DriversMeeting.com/pcarroll

Herbert

Postby Herbert » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:39 pm

grendel wrote:It already has an advantage of letting the CF adapter stay in the slot. Inserting and pulling it thousands of times might be bad for it in the long run.

Looking at the picture the slot for the sd card is on the side of the cf adapter, so you'd have to pull it out anyway.
Herbert.
DL-1 fw 8-5
Analysis 7.2.29

Peter Carroll/Toronto

Postby Peter Carroll/Toronto » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:17 pm

I bought one and it does work - but not in the DL1.

The one I bought turned out to be a type II card meaning it is thicker and will not fit the type I slot in the DL1. I'm not sure if there are others that are type I and if there are then they might work. But be sure to check that.

I bought it because my laptop does not have an SDHC slot but does have a CF slot. For that purpose it does seem to work, though it does not seem any faster than a USB adapter. My laptop is USB 1.0 and is deadly slow. It seems the CF slot is not any faster.

Oh well.
Peter Carroll, Toronto, Canada
DL1 and Dash2 - http://DriversMeeting.com/pcarroll

Return to “General support questions”