Basic Connection Questions

tickedo

Basic Connection Questions

Postby tickedo » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:30 am

My DL1 is working and logging rpm, gps (speed etc). I have two wires now connected to the ecu which are Throttle Postion (full) and brake switch. My question is where do I connect them on the DL1, and then do I have to do anything to get it to start logging those values.

Thanks

osborni

Postby osborni » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:56 am

Are the wires a proportional or Boolean voltage output and within DL1's specs? 0-15v max.

If so you connect them to an Analog input. You use the DL1 configuration tool to turn them on then copy the setup.bin file to a compact flash card. The card is then loaded into the DL1 prior to powerup.

It's in the manual......

Most modern cars use a TPS sensor attached to the throttle body to tell the ECU what the throttle position is. Most TPS sensors are three wire, one voltage supply, one ground and one signal. Just tap the signal wire as they are typically 0.5-4.5v output. The tapped wire is what goes into an Analog input in the DL1.

The analysis software will figure out a brake flag based on longitudinal Gs - so you don't need a brake switch signal. Unless you are going to use an analog pressure sensor in one of the hydraulic brake lines to get a proportional signal. THAT is very useful for both brake system design and driver feedback. Easy to see how smooth the driver is with the brakes. You can also pick out when ABS activates (if so equipped).

tickedo

Postby tickedo » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:34 pm

thanks for the reply. Is it in the manual ?? where ?? Ive looked but still cant see it.

Ive just tapped into the wires coming out of the ECU that is the throttle position and the stop light switch (i find the g force one annoying) so at this stage it will be a case of showing brake on or off

Should i if possible relabel the channel to suit.

osborni

Postby osborni » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:10 pm

Try the "Knowledge Base" on RT's web site.

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/?pc ... 7ed61b4258

tickedo

Postby tickedo » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:15 pm

ok ive read thru the knowledge base and there is nothing that tells you what to do i.e tap into single wires (1 for TPS and 1 for Brake light) after the ecu and where to connect them into the DL1. There are pages that sort of talk about it but they mention three wire sensors! They talk about power, sensor and ground wires but as ive only got one wire ? I pressume they go into the anologue 0-5v range.

osborni

Postby osborni » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:08 am

I guess that there is a basic assumption that the majority of VDC, analog out sensors are three wire. Power, Ground and Signal. Signal always goes to an analog in on the DL1. Installing a DAQ system on a race car assumes a level of technical knowledge.

Some sensors are regulated - the supply voltage can float (typically 9-24 VDC) with a fixed output (typically 0-5VDC). Some are "ratiometric" which require a regulated input voltage (typically 5VDC - either from the DL1 or from a linear voltage regulator) with a 0.5-4.5 VDC output. Ratiometric sensors have the signal voltage scale with the input voltage - so you need a stable input voltage.

But you need to be careful of the current limit on the DL1 - 50 mA can be sucked up pretty quick with 4-5 10 mA sensors - which is typical for sensors.

You just need to google for the spec sheet on the sensor you are interested in.

I have a mix of 5 volt supply sensors (oil and water pressures) regulated sensors (oil and water temps, brake pressure and wheel speed) and pick up some signals from the car harness (TPS, RPM).

If you dig, you can find a bunch of info on retail sites like Digikey about sensors. I've bought a lot of stuff off ebay - you just need to be careful what you buy.

I guess that TPS sensors are sort of general knowledge assumption for cars.

tickedo

Postby tickedo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:53 am

ok thanks for the help I got it working.

The brake light input went to 5v - 12v and the throttle position went to 0v - 5v. I was just nervous not wanting to "zap" my ecu.

Return to “General support questions”