Identifying DL1 Firmware version and reflashing issues...

twhite

Identifying DL1 Firmware version and reflashing issues...

Postby twhite » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:53 pm

I am trying to use a DASH1 with a DL1, but am unable to have the DASH1 update its configuration by loading a Dash.dat file on the CF card.

I am suspecting the DL1 firmware, but would like to be sure. My understanding is the DL1 firmware must be updated to v6 to work properly with the DASH1. Is this correct?

How do you determine what firmware version a DL1 has? Can it be extracted from Monitor or other s/w?

I tried using the reflash tool, but the tool responds with a communication problem, stating the DL1 is not connected (may be the laptop I am using). This laptop works fine in Monitor mode, as well as with other RS-232 serial based tools (DATAQ, ETAS, etc.). Is there a timing issue or other 'technique' that is recommended?
tjw

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:30 pm

You do need to be running V6 firmware on the DL1. To verify the firmware level, using the V6 Analysis Software, load some data then look under Data > Run Manager > Run Details. The firmware, if V6 will be listed as 6-1 or 6-2.

Assuming that you need to reflash, yes there is a timing issue. What works best for me on my PC is to have the DL1 off. Click "OK" on the Select Serial Port window, wait about a second, then power up the DL1. Adjust the "about a second" 'til it works.

There is another issue. You need to run the DL1 configuration utility and create and load a setup file with the "Enable GSM Modem Mode" box checked. The currently posted software package has a bug preventing this from working properly, but will be replaced next week. If that's a problem, please say so, we can email you the current config utility as a standalone.
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

twhite

Postby twhite » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:40 pm

Thanks for the response.

My understanding regarding the "GSM modem mode" was that it is only required if you want the DASH1 to control logging (start/stop logging). Is this correct?

One more... We have an older DL1 (orange connectors) that does not even power up the DASH1; is it compatible with the DASH1 or must it be upgraded? It does not even show the Firmware level in the Run Manager>Run Details area!!!
tjw

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:22 pm

Controlling logging or setting markers from the DASH1 requires bidirectional communication and thus the "GSM modem mode".

Regarding the old DL1, I'll check the and see if that's an available upgrade. As you've noted, it won't work otherwise. This is only an issue on a relatively few early DL1s - but I have one here too!

Regards,
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

Return to “General support questions”