DL1 Speed is influenced by RPM

MatsB

DL1 Speed is influenced by RPM

Postby MatsB » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:40 pm

While testing the RPM (high level) it was noted that while standing still and applying throttle the speed recorded increased 1-2 km/h this dispite the vehicle standing still. Disconnecting the RPM pickup caused the problem to go away, but since RPM is needed in the Dash it is not a good solution

Has this been noted by anyone else?
What might be the reason for the interference?

Thanks for your support

osborni

Postby osborni » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:51 pm

It sounds like you are getting some RF interference between the RPM and speed signals. Are you running shielded wires with proper grounds?

In the help files, under "Connecting RPM sensors" there is a pretty comprehensive look at how to do it and the reliability of each signal.

You can also use the trigger signal to an injector or install your own hall effect sensor on the crank or cam.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

MatsB

Postby MatsB » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:09 pm

-Ok, the gps antenna might pick up the RPM then.
-The RPM cable is shielded, it lacks a some cm, guess I will have to fix that. it is grounded.
-I will revisit the RPM guide, read it last season..
-My two-stroke cart engine lacks injector and cam, but hall-effect to the crank is possible. If I cant get away the noise from the speed signal by working on the RPM cable I guess thats the way forward.
Will the Dash2 recognise a frequency input as a RPM signal?

faraday

Postby faraday » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:49 am

How and to what is the DL1 mounted in the kart?

What size tracks do you race on?

Performance and durability of kart mounted GPS has traditionally been poor.
The harsh environment might explain some of the problems that you have been having. :(

You may even be lucky that the thing still works at all. I hope that things improve, but do not be surprised if the unit dies prematurely.

:cry:

MatsB

Postby MatsB » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:36 am

-The DL1 is mounted with welcro on the floor of the kart, between the front axle and the petrol tank.
The antenna is mounted on the top of the spoiler covering the steering column.

I still have an old unit, it started behaving funny, making twitch/jump a couple of meters mid cornering, or just freaking out completely on position and speed. Since it was an early version I thought I had been unlucky and replaced it for this season. I would estimate the total service time over the 4 years I used it to about 1 hour.

I thought all racing cars enviorments were harsch?

The new installation, despite beeing carefully installed, has yet to complete a full outing logging all installed sensors.

In the light of what you are saying it is indeed discouriging information

What is the overall recomendation, dismount and sell the system while it is still healthy?

The tracks are about 1 km long, of typical kart layouts

What logging system has the best track record for karting use?

faraday

Postby faraday » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:23 am

I would have thought that special anti-vibration mounting would make things safe, but it is not easy. The mounts need to be soft, and its not easy to find anywhere on a Kart that doesn't move with either large deflections because of flimsy brackets or harsh vibration transmitted from a single cylinder engine. I had too many failures and had to give up.

The kart needs to be light and flexy compared to a properly suspended racing car frame.
The lack of suspension and sticky tyres means that they skip, even on the smooth tracks...

The result is a very jerky motion, which somehow tricks GPS. The smaller the track and tighter the corner radii, the harder it is to map overlaying laps.
This stuffs up the lap timing function...

Please speak to Martin or Andy at R-T Nottingham directly, if an official response is not given here soon. They will advise if developments have improved the situation.
I'll wait for this before recommending an alternative.
:wink:

Support

Postby Support » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:09 pm

Hi.. Andy here!

I'm not sure what more I can add to that... you've covered most of it really.

For karts, and any installation where the engine is mounted without any isolation at all it is typically required to add in some vibration damping of some sort. There are 2 issues:

- high levels of high frequency vibration of the DL1 main unit causes a reduction in GPS accuracy. This isn't a reliability issue, it's an accuracy issue.
- very high levels of vibration can cause long term damage to the internal components.

As a simple test, if the CF card shakes out by itself then some isolation is required.

In terms of the RPM affecting speed, it does sound like some noise is getting in. You might get away with this, but it would be better to find a cleaner signal from somewhere - maybe you could add a pickup pointing at a bolt or something?

Kind regards,

Andy

Return to “General support questions”