Can DL1 transmit live data & gps

tickedo

Can DL1 transmit live data & gps

Postby tickedo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:50 am

Is it possible to setup the DL1 to transmit the data live, so we can see where the car is on the track and what it is doing, this would be very useful at places like nurburgring etc where you cant see the car

Support

Postby Support » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:17 pm

This is an option that is being considered for an update of the Monitor software.

tickedo

Postby tickedo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:20 pm

That would be great, can we have it ready to use before the next 24 hr race there in 2010 :)

Turby

Postby Turby » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:32 pm

You should be able to use a pair of off-the-shelf RS232 radio modems. The idea of these is to replace a physical RS232 wire via a wireless link. Put one in the car attached the serial port of the DL1 and the second attached to your laptop in the pits. Then view real time data using the existing monitor software.

Note that the there is no RT software which will analyse the data on the fly, you will either have to write your own or wait for something from RT

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:57 pm

You'll find it very difficult to get a decent radio signal for the entire Nurburgring. At minimum you need a huge aeriel, without (as we do) you will only get radio comnmunication when the cars on the GP circuit (or very close).

Maxx

In saying that, i'm sure the year before last there was a web page which tracked the top 20? cars via GPS, not sure how this was done.

I still have the link http://events001.gps-explorer.de/ but not functional currently.

Maxx

Turby

Postby Turby » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:03 pm

I didn't spot the target area of Nurburgring! With such a large venue to cover I think you will struggle unless you have significant resources (I'm thinking helicopter flying above the middle of the course somewhere..., or high power transmitter with repeater stations and very big masts)

My suggestion for using RS232 wireless modems should work on "normal" circuits assuming you get modems with a suitable range!

tickedo

Postby tickedo » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:03 am

Thanks for your replies. This is the issue with nurburgring we are lucky enough to get radio coverage to about 60-75% of the full circuit including the Nordschleife with a large pit aerial mounted on the transporter.

I would mainly like the ability to "see" the car on a layout so we now where it is if we have an issue. To see the data as it came past on the GP circuit would be OK but would it work only getting parts of each lap ?

Tickedo

Support

Postby Support » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:15 pm

I must admit I misunderstood the question a little bit, the possibility of seeing the position of the car on a laptop using the live monitor is something that is on our list of things to add to the software, you would have to have the lap top in the car to see this data, or indeed a telemetry system transmitting the information to the pits.

What you effectively want is a full on telemetry system similar to what is used in sportscar racing (LeMans series, FIA GT etc.) At this time we don´t have an off the shelf solution for this, but we can of course develop a custom solution for you!

Return to “General support questions”