AEM interface configuration

newman

AEM interface configuration

Postby newman » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:27 am

Do I have to do anything to configure my AEM or Dash2 to work with the dash2 serial interface?

I have the +12 and ground wires hooked up, the terminator is on the cable.

The dash2 reads my analogue inputs, but not anything coming through the ECU (RPM, lambda, etc...)

Any ideas?
08 lotus exige S240
87 BMW 325IS w/ skyline GTR drivetrain.

newman

Postby newman » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:36 am

So the knowledge base says:

Dashboard only

When the ECU Serial Interface is connected directly to a standalone DASH2 it must be connected using the special null modem type serial lead supplied. This null modem cable is bi-directional, so it does not matter which way around it is connected.

I received a black extension cable with my ecu interface, I assume that's the "special null modem serial cable"

I am able to connect to the DASH2 through that cable, so i know that it works... am I supposed to do anything else?
08 lotus exige S240

Support

Postby Support » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:54 am

You will also have to configure the DASH2 to read the correct RPM signal, set up pulses per rev etc. You will also have to set up which channels from the ECU to display where and set up alarms should you wish to do so.
Information on configuring RPM can be found here: http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... nfigureRPM

Information on alarm configuration can be found here: http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... AlarmLevel

newman

Postby newman » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:05 pm

I did that. The DASH2 shows 0 revs, 0 lambda, 0 water temp...

The instructions for the AEM serial gauge tell you to activate the ecu output via the telemetry wizard. Turning this on or off doesn't change anything. The tach still indicates no RPM, nor do any of the channels read any values...
08 lotus exige S240

Support

Postby Support » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:33 pm

Disconnect the output of the ECU interface from the DASH2 and connect it to a PC using the serial port. Make sure that you connect the serial out port to the computer. With the ECU interface powered up and the engine running you should be able to use the lite monitor application to make sure that you have data coming from the ECU. The ECU should be set up as follows:

Serial Port Settings
Transmission sequence : Header byte, stream data, checksum byte
Header byte : 0x55
Baud rate : 19200
Parity : Ignore
Data size : 8 bits
Stop bits : 1
Stream size : 21
Checksum : standard data sum

ScienceofSpeed

Postby ScienceofSpeed » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:00 am

I am having a similar issue. My configuration consists of the AEM EMS, DL1, and laptop with Monitor software. DL1 is has current firmware, and cabling is installed as shown as "configuration 4" of the serial interface manual.

I have configured the telemetry options of the ECU as described above.

I configured the DL1 to enable decode serial data, and the incoming serial data is enabled.

In the monitoring software, I have displayed throttle and water temperature from the serial stream. Water temp has been configured with the correct scale and throttle is set to %. However, when played, the values for both serial variables remain at "2.7".

I also connected the Dash2 (changing the cable configuration to configuration 3) and the serial values do not display (neither the variable or variable name).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

ScienceofSpeed

Postby ScienceofSpeed » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:19 am

Per Stratocaster's recommendations (thanks Jeff!) I have done the following:

1. confirmed AEM EMS is setup properly.
2. connected PC directly to AEM EMS and monitored serial traffic with TTY application - confirmed AEM EMS is outputing telemetry.
3. connected AEM to RT serial adaptor, and configured as "PC monitor only" using RT supplied null modem cable between serial adaptor and PC. Checked Monitor Lite and TTY application, and confirmed that no telemetry is reaching the PC.

I have also swapped null modem cables with two others to confirm that it is not a null model problem. The issue appears to be with the RT serial adaptor. Can you please confirm?

thanks,
-- Chris

ScienceofSpeed

Postby ScienceofSpeed » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:28 am

Here are screen shots to verify:

AEM telemetry settings:

Lite Monitor - this was with the "DL1 and PC Monitor" configuration - shows communication with DL1 is good, but no serial output:

TTY output - PC & AEM EMS linked directly:

no TTY output - configured as "PC monitor only" with serial data out to powered terminator and serial data in connected to PC with supplied RT null modem cable:

I believe this confirms that the issue is with the serial adaptor?

Support

Postby Support » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the information.

Since you have the ability to log the serila output of the ECU directly, then I think the best thing is if you log some data (a few minutes is fine) and send me the data file. I can then pass this data file onto the engineer that developed this ECU adapter who can test it. Then at least we will know that there is no problem with your ECU out and it matches the setup of the adapter.

If you can send the logged serial data to "andrew@race----.com, I'll post the answer on this forum as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Andy

ScienceofSpeed

Postby ScienceofSpeed » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:52 pm

hi Andy --

Kieran e-mailed a new flash for the AEM interface. The datastream can now be read with the exception of engine speed and boost pressure. I have e-mailed him the screen shot from Lite Monitor as well as the datastream output.

thank you,
-- Chris

Support

Postby Support » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:58 am

Hi Chris,

I'll leave you to work with Kieran then. It sounds like you are making good progress now.

Kind regards,

Andy

msimanyi

Postby msimanyi » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:35 pm

Has there been any progress on this problem? I ran into the same issues last year and am finally back to looking for a resolution.

Thanks,

Mike

nmeone

Postby nmeone » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:54 am

I am having the same issue as Chris from SOS except I have gotten my AFR to display but it freezes and remain frozen from time to time.

Also I cannot get the engine load (psi) to display correctly. is the dash2 capable of displaying negative numbers for vacuum?

Return to “General support questions”