CAN interface wiring question.

raceralexuk

CAN interface wiring question.

Postby raceralexuk » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:08 pm

Hello all,

I picked up a good used DL1 and Dash2 last week from a nice chap who'd previously had it fitted to his race bike. I'm going to be fitting it to my Britcar Mazda RX7 build, hitting many birds with one stone as the DL1 is required for power tests by race officials, I was in need of data logging hardware and the Dash2 solves the problem of how to display the ECU info.

I'm using a DTA S80 ECU so I'm looking at using a CAN interface, but I'd like to know how it's wired. I'm planning to have the ECU down in the footwell to keep the ECU wiring nice and short, but for ease of access to the serial port on it (which I think will get used frequently) I want to make a serial extension to bring a serial female port to the door. That means that there will always be a RS232 plug in my ECU, but if CAN is simply 2-wire, there shouldn't be a problem bringing two wires out of the back of my ECU serial plug? Or does the CAN interface require more than a connection to the CAN+ and CAN- pins?

Also, this might be one to ask the DTA guys but does anyone know about the possibility of receiving data from the Race Technology hardware into the ECU? I'm interested in using the pit lane speed limiter function of the DTA and wondered if I could use the GPS and/or wheel speed data from the DL1 through the CAN interface to the DTA?

Thanks,

Alex

Support

Re: CAN interface wiring question.

Postby Support » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:31 am

raceralexuk wrote:Hello all,

I picked up a good used DL1 and Dash2 last week from a nice chap who'd previously had it fitted to his race bike. I'm going to be fitting it to my Britcar Mazda RX7 build, hitting many birds with one stone as the DL1 is required for power tests by race officials, I was in need of data logging hardware and the Dash2 solves the problem of how to display the ECU info.

I'm using a DTA S80 ECU so I'm looking at using a CAN interface, but I'd like to know how it's wired. I'm planning to have the ECU down in the footwell to keep the ECU wiring nice and short, but for ease of access to the serial port on it (which I think will get used frequently) I want to make a serial extension to bring a serial female port to the door. That means that there will always be a RS232 plug in my ECU, but if CAN is simply 2-wire, there shouldn't be a problem bringing two wires out of the back of my ECU serial plug? Or does the CAN interface require more than a connection to the CAN+ and CAN- pins?

On the ECU connector of the interface only pins 2(green) "CAN low" and 7(yellow) "CAN high" are wired so these can be connected directly to the relevant ECU pins.

raceralexuk wrote:Also, this might be one to ask the DTA guys but does anyone know about the possibility of receiving data from the Race Technology hardware into the ECU? I'm interested in using the pit lane speed limiter function of the DTA and wondered if I could use the GPS and/or wheel speed data from the DL1 through the CAN interface to the DTA?

Thanks,

Alex

The ECU interface is only intended for receiving data from an ECU, so it will not be able to transmit anything back. The DL1 has no configurable outputs either.
If you can connect wheelspeed sensors to the ECU, then it may be possible to send these out via the CAN so the DL1 can record them if that is of any help.

raceralexuk

Postby raceralexuk » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:18 pm

Thanks for those answers.

Return to “General support questions”