Error -56, corrupt files when loading raw run data

David Ferguson

Error -56, corrupt files when loading raw run data

Postby David Ferguson » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:03 pm

We have a customer that is reporting he get's error -56 and a report of a corrupted data file when he attempts to load a data file from the compact flash. I haven't encountered this problem, so I verified that he had formatted the CF card as FAT16 before the run.

Anyone know what this problem might be?

sloracer

Postby sloracer » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:00 pm

bump...

same problem here

Dave E

Postby Dave E » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:13 pm

Don't konw about specific error codes, but a disruption to the power supply while logging can corrupt the CF card

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:31 pm

That error is a Windows error, not one of ours (I think).

It is just reporting a corrupt data file in any event.

This can come from three causes in my experience:

1. Incompatible CF cards - a few CF cards seem incompatible with our loggers. In the US I recommend Lexar and SanDisk, both are stable products and adhere well to standards. Some brands are just relabelled products bought on the spot market, and are very inconsistent.

2. Power interruption - logging should ideally be stopped by autostop or via the DL logging switch / button, rather than by power interruption. Having said that, V6 firmware is more susceptible to problems from power interruptions than earlier or later (V7) firmware. So if you are having this problem you might want to ask for the V7 firmware.

3. Very rarely, an extremely electrically noisy environment, usually plus a bad ground, can cause logging problems. Make sure the unit has a good ground on the power input connection.

Cheers,
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

Return to “General support questions”