Serious Dash 1 Config problems - URGENT

jasonc

Serious Dash 1 Config problems - URGENT

Postby jasonc » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:01 pm

Hi guys. I have called and faxed RT for help on this but no response so I thought it worth a shot to post here.

At a test day last week my RPM input on the Dash 1 was not working. I am feeding it through the Dl1 from the LT side of the coil. The engine is a 4cyl 2litre pinto. In the DL1 the software needs to have 2 sparks per rev and then analysis works fine. I can't get it to work with the Dash 1.

Putting 2 and then trying a range of random numbers in the Dash 1 beta config programme does not get me an RPM readout on the Dash (it shows 0 or 1). When I run the DL1 monitor software it shows RPM as 35 when it is about 700. Trying a scaling factor of 20 in the Dash 1 does not work either.

This is becoming silly now and I really need some help. Does anyone here have any thoughts on how to fix this?

Regards,

Jason.

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:37 pm

G'day Jason,

To take the RPM signal directly from the coil (LT) means that you need to be particularly careful with your RPM GND.
I use 2 core twisted and shielded wire if I need to go to the coil. Only connect the shield at the DL1 end - GND or PWR GND.
You may need to filter or reduce the signal from this source as you will see a lot of noise (interference).
If you have a scope or even a mulitmeter, then view the signal (in AC Volt) to see what the signal is like. DL1 monitor will also show a problem if the frequency (Hz) is unstable.
Can you pick a signal from the tacho input?
Better still, is this engine EFI?
If so take a signal from the Tacho output or even an injector output. Just check the performance/response of the engine before and after any connection to ensure there is no change to the ECU signal status.
Cheers Daniel.
Meridian Motorsport P/L www.mmsport.com.au/

Turby

Postby Turby » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:16 am

I agree with Dan, I had a very noisy signal signal when picking up from either LT, HT or coil. All problems were solved by simply tapping into the signal wire going into the dash tacho. (My car does have an ECU though!)

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:15 pm

Jason:

Is this resolved?

If not, where are you located?
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:46 pm

Yes, we have connected, RT and I and hopefully sorted it out.

Return to “General support questions”