DL1 Vers 7 Firmware and Setup files

David Ferguson

DL1 Vers 7 Firmware and Setup files

Postby David Ferguson » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:59 pm

We have a customer with a new DL1 that had version 7-3 Firmware installed. While it logs data, there is no GPS map drawn. A couple of observations:

- With the vers 7 Firmware (either 7-3 or 7-5), the GPS Lock light flashes quickly. Using the older firmware in another using (version 5-2), we get the behavior described in the help document (slow flash, followed by a number of quick flashes representing the number of satellites acquired).

- The data shows the "Position X" and "Position Y" data to be zero all the time.

- The speed info (and RPM that is connected) does log -- I think the speed info is being purely derived from the accelerometer data.

- With the V7 software the monitor program doesn't display any data until the Start/Stop Logging button has been depressed. The monitor program shows GPS position data (Lat/Long), and the Position X/Y seems to update correctly.

I discovered that if I put a SETUP.BIN file on the card (written with just the defualt settings from the DL1 Configuration program, that now the GPS data is logged, and a map is drawn(using DL1 Analysis v6.3.67).

Is the SETUP.BIN file required for version 7 firmware? Why doesn't the "Format Card" function in the DL1 Analysis program put that file on the card if it's required.

Should I be using a different version of Firmware for the DL1? Is there an archive of older versions?

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:42 pm

I've answered Dave privately, but will post here:

This actually was an early 10Hz DL1, the firmware was corrupted.

Function was restored by reflashing with V7 firmware and running the config utility.

The config.bin file does not need to remain on the CF card, and ideally should be removed after it has been read into the DL1.

Dave had already done everything right!
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

David Ferguson

Postby David Ferguson » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:19 pm

Confirmed that SETUP.BIN was not longer required. Unit is logging and drawing maps as expected.

Thanks for the quick response!

David Stewart

Postby David Stewart » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:01 am

RTUSA wrote:The config.bin file does not need to remain on the CF card, and ideally should be removed after it has been read into the DL1.
So are you saying that the CONFIG.BIN file does not have to be on the card once the DL-1 has been powered up successfully once? I've been leaving the file in the root directory of the CF card.

ewaher

Postby ewaher » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:03 am

iirc the dl1 reads the file each time it starts up....and retains the file information until it reads the file again.

I just leave it on the card since I use multiple cards, until i hear a reason to take it off I guess I'll continue doing so.

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:20 pm

David:

Yes, that is correct.

When the logger boots it looks for a config file, if it finds one it reads it then rewrites some internal flash memory registers, if not it uses the existing values in those registers. The internal flash memory retains the config info even when powered down.

So, once the logger has read the config file once, there is no reason to leave it on the card.
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

Return to “General support questions”