How to display time slip on Dash3 using DL1 MK3?

knate

How to display time slip on Dash3 using DL1 MK3?

Postby knate » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:24 am

I am trying to get the Dash3 to display realtime time slip, since this is advertised as a big benefit of having a DL1 MK3. However I can't find anywhere showing how to do it. In my Dash3 configuration software (v2.0.16), I do not see it in any of the lists of variables. Do I need to set up a user variable for this?

Support

Postby Support » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:04 am

Good morning,

Actually "time slip rate" is not currently enabled on the DASH3 as a standard variable in the config software, this is currently only an option on the DASH4PRO - however clearly you've bought the DL1mk3 wanting to do this, so that is not a very satisfactory answer... to be honest this limitation is not at all clear from the information on our web site.

There is a simple workaround - add a formula to a user variable of just "VAR_0041" this is the index for "time slip rate", and then display this value. I'm *almost* certain this will work, but in the mean time I'll also ask the engineer that does the configuration software to add this as a standard variable to the next released version.

Kind regards,

RT-support

knate

Postby knate » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:49 am

Thanks a lot! This looks like it will work, I'll just have to test it out when I can get the DL1 back in the car. I appreciate you asking for it to be added to the standard list, thanks for the quick response!

knate

Postby knate » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:58 am

I tried this tonight and can't get it to work. I set user variable 1 to "VAR_0040" (time slip in seconds) and tried outputting it both to a bar graph and a number. Neither change at all while doing laps.

I tried setting user variable 3 to "VAR_4002" (battery voltage) and that works fine. So the user variables are working on the dash, but is there any reason why the dash would not be pulling a value from the DL1 for time slip?

Should I need to do anything besides setting this up in the Dash 3 config?

Support

Postby Support » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:29 pm

okay - sorry for the misinformation then!! The engineer has now added this and it will be tested and published very soon... please check the web site for an update in 1-2 weeks time.

Kind regards,

RT - support

knate

Postby knate » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:01 am

Support wrote:okay - sorry for the misinformation then!! The engineer has now added this and it will be tested and published very soon... please check the web site for an update in 1-2 weeks time.

Kind regards,

RT - support

Hmm.. that makes me curious, since I would think I would be able to use it in a formula. I thought that would have worked also. That was a very quick update to the software, thanks!

disquek

Postby disquek » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:51 pm

This same issues exists for the Dash2 as well.

Can you ask the developer to address this on the Dash2 also?

Having access to these variables is a big part of why I upgraded to the Mk3.

Thank you!
Kyle

disquek

Postby disquek » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:28 pm

Bump ....

Support, can you please weigh in on this question?

Thank you,
Kyle

osborni

Postby osborni » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:33 pm

There is an slip (over/under) for sector and lap for the Dash2 - it's in the menu setup options.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

disquek

Postby disquek » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:38 pm

Not on mine there isn't. Can you be more specific with the name and section?

I'm on 8.2.75.

-Kyle

<edit> - Menu setup options? There is nothing like this on the Dash2 setup. I have only the input scaling tab with the variable drop down. Are you sure you're looking at the Dash 2 setup?

osborni

Postby osborni » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:42 pm

Don't know my firmware rev, but it's about a year old or so. It's on page 20 of the PDF manual for the Dash2.

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... gOperation

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... veLapTimes

IIRC, you tell the Dash where to put the information Left/Center/Right. I don't clearly recall, but it may need to be hooked up to a DL1. At least there was something context sensitive to the setup. Frankly, it's been about 3 years since I messed with that setup.

It's not a continuous display. It just flashes at the sector/lab markers. IMHO, continuous is too busy. Only have time to look at it on the longer straights anyway.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

osborni

Postby osborni » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm

BMW 2000 M Coupe

disquek

Postby disquek » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:48 pm

Ah. I see the disconnect now.

You're looking at the standard sector based predictive lap timing.

I'm talking about using the Mk3's new real time predictive lap timing. The Mk3 can calculate time slip in real time and (hopefully) the Dash can be configured to display it as a standard variable.

This is the issue. The time slip variable is not available on the Dash2 config because RT has not updated the Dash2 config since the Mk3 was introduced.

-Kyle

Support

Postby Support » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:44 pm

We are aware of the issue in the DASH2 firmware / configuration with not being able to view the real time timeslip. We are going to be making a number of changes to the firmware and configuration later in the year and this feature will be added then.

Regards,
Martin Hill

disquek

Postby disquek » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:52 pm

Hi Martin!

Thank you for the reply.

"Later in the year" ... does this mean that it will not be available for the 2012 racing season (USA)?

-Kyle

Return to “General support questions”