Arduino

thokes82

Postby thokes82 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:32 pm

Hi Colin,
It would be a great help for me if you could send me your code. I'd like to build something like an advanced ECU adapter with telemetry via GPRS to SQL server. Reading ECU data and uploading them via gsm-shield is allready done. Now I'd like to display/record some of them in my DL1/Dash2 Combi.

My adress is thomas [*at*] kessel [dot] tk

Thanks so much! regards, Thomas

jefrezicus

Postby jefrezicus » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:31 pm

Please send me the code as well as I'd like to try to adapt it to do a few things.

jeff [dot] stroh at gmail [dot] com

thokes82

Postby thokes82 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:19 pm

Hi, I got my Arduino communicating to my RT Hardware (DL1 and Dash2). It has all ECU Data and I can forward a number of channels to the RT Hardware already. Now I want to send RPM Data to it. There is just one Problem:
I am too dumb to understand the syntax of Message 18 (RPM). Can someone please explain this a little more?

Code: Select all

TickPeriod = 1.66666666666667E-07
Frequency = 1/((Data1 * 0x10000 + Data2 * 0x100 + Data3) * TickPeriod)

Support

Postby Support » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:31 am

The RPM is not sent as an RPM value, it is sent as the number of 6MHz clock pulses between two successive revolutions. So if the engine is running at 6000 RPM this will be 100Hz, which gives a count of 0.01 x 6 000 000. or a count of 60 000.
To convert from an RPM value to the required counter value you need to calculate 360 000 000 / RPM.

The value is transmitted as three bytes, Data1 is MSB, Data3 is LSB.

Martin

thokes82

Postby thokes82 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:00 pm

Thanks for the hint.
However I can't make it. Sorry.
This is what I send:

18 0 117 48 183

But it does not do anything with it. This should send 12000rpm, right?

thokes82

Postby thokes82 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:39 am

Hi,
can someone please read my above message and send me an example stream for this? I just don't know how to do it.
That is pretty bad: I bought a system with an ECU Adapter which does not work. Instead of complaining I started to build it myself based on Arduino. I think you could at least support me in getting this one to work. RPM is the only channel which is missing.
regards, Thomas

Support

Postby Support » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:12 pm

You are sending a value of 30 000. In terms of time for a 6MHz clock this comes out at a period of 0.005s, so a frequency of 200Hz, if you have your system set up for 1 pulse per revolution then this equates to a frequency of 200x60 = 12000rpm.

So if you are streaming this through to the lite monitor software you should be seeing a value of 12000 rpm, so you are correct there.

Are you looking at the data on the lite monitor software? This is the best / easiest way to check this sort of sample data.

Martin

DarkGift

Postby DarkGift » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:40 am

Justin/Colin - I've also started using an arduino to get additional channels. Have all the code written for the sensors, but would rather not reinvent the wheel to send the data to the DL-1. If the offer still stands to share your code, could you please email a copy to:

tag-rtarduino [*at*] tag-racing [*dot*] com

Thanks!

disquek

Postby disquek » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:15 pm

Hi!

I have not had time to code this (although I did start this thread!).

Can someone who has coded using the Arduino to send A2D data to the DL1 send me their source?

disquek at yahoo dot com

Thank you VERY much,
Kyle

yenobia

Postby yenobia » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:46 am

I've written code to use it as a lap timer and a gps speedo.
J-Hotel Guangzhou
105-1 Tianshou Road, Tianhe, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China, 510610
+86 20 3809 7888

Bikey

Postby Bikey » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:03 pm

If I were to hire someone to write code for an Arduino Mega 2560 R3 setup (16 analog inputs) being used as the analog to digital converter, along with a Sparkfun R2323 shield. What info would I need to give to the programmer so they could properly send the analog signals coming into the Arduino to a DL-1 - is the info further below enough, along with specifying that the Arduino's signals should be placed in channels 13-28?

Also, regarding physically inputting the signals from the Arduino/RS232 board into a DL1 - to what pin should they go? I also have a Video4 and a Dash4, in case that matters.

Finally, would there be any bandwidth issues if I am logging suspension sensors on the DL1 inputs, at 1Khz, and also trying to stuff in the add'l info over the serial input? Currently the Video4 is doing the logging, and it seems like there might be a an issue getting the suspension data, along with the other ~22 channels, to the Video4.

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... taMessages

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... DataFormat

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... lDataInput

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... ogueInputs

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... eVBDecoder

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... leCDecoder

Thanks.

Bikey

Postby Bikey » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:31 pm

I would really appreciate some help on this.
Thanks.

Colin105

Postby Colin105 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:50 pm

Hi Guys, havn't checked the forum for a while and notice a lot of people asking for the code so i've made it available here

https://github.com/colinbyrne105/RTArduino

The unit i've been running in the car has been working very well, currently building a new PCB with 4 thermocouple inputs as a bit of an upgrade

cheers
You only need 2 things in your tool box, duct tape and WD40.
-if it moves and it shouldn't use the duct tape
-if it doesn't move and it should use the WD40

jefrezicus

Postby jefrezicus » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:11 pm

So I finally got around to tinkering with this. Plan is use an Arduino to take inputs from temperature sensors and output via Serial to my Video4.

Hope is for a working real-time tire temperature solution that's somewhat affordable!

I have the Arduino working stand-alone reading sensors. The sensors are the Melexis MLX90614 http://www.melexis.com/Prodmain.aspx?nID=615. Communication is via i2c library, with data coming in on the SDA/SCL pins on the Arduino. I can read the data over the serial monitor no problem.

Here's the simple read function: http://1drv.ms/1Gzu8GA

Problem I am having is adapting Colin's code to get the sensor output into something that the Video4 can read.

I'm assuming that I need to send the data to Channel 19 (Serial In).

Length of "V" is confusing. I presume that "V" needs to be the Serial variable name, is that right?

Any help would be appreciated! I'm completely new to both Arduino and programming, so pretty sure I've bit off more than I can chew on this one, but having this capability would be really sweet.

Any input would be appreciated!

Halsbury Racing

Postby Halsbury Racing » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:52 pm

I too am /was new to arduino and coding, but today got my arduinos working, with many thanks to Colin, as without his code I woud have never got this far.

I have still got issues, but it is pretty much functional now. The hardware is cheap, but I am on revision 156 of my code, so factor in a minimum wage and I have the most expensive tyre monitoring in the world. I also have the most expensive engine ECU but that's another story.

I used £6 Grove sensors initially, but was not happy with the results - they are rated for 100C but I could not get them past 90deg reliably. I have also used a pair of Compact Connect CS micro temp sensors, but at £150 a sensor and needing 5 sensors a corner, I would have missed 4 mortgage repayments.

You need to think about how you will get your data back to the Video4. I2C technically shouldn't work, though you might get lucky if you put your arduino in the middle of the car and have short, interference-free runs to your 4 corners. If your system is on a racecar, I would forget it.
I use I2C to RS485 to RS232, but I would probably look at using the Melexis PWM output to drive analogue signals around the car next time.

I can't give you much help as I don't have video4: I run Dash2 and ECU serial interface, and send 36 serial channels to the DL1. I chose channel 72 (I send 22 temperature variables - 2 from ECU, and 20 tyre temps).

Good luck, you will need it, but please be encouraged by the fact that with much determination, a terms programming experience on a BBC micro circa 1985, many many late nights fuelled by an equal number of bottles of wine, anything is acheivabe.

I think RT sensors are 280+vat a corner - and they have 8 sensors each.
This really does look like the best value option out there, and with the benefit of hindsight would be the route I'd go.

P

Return to “General support questions”