Video4 - Resetting during recording - status light goes out

Jams

Video4 - Resetting during recording - status light goes out

Postby Jams » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi

I have been trying to get my new Video4 working reliably - it's a 2 camera unit with GPS. I have been having difficulty with it resetting frequently during a session so I fitted on top of my dashbord, where I can see it and ran it off a separate battery (my Formula Vee doesn't have an alternator so the main battery can run down).

I tested the unit by driving it around the paddock and saw the following :-

1. Normal power up sequence of lights.
2. When GPS lock achieved (Data not flashing), pressed log button, so logging led came on.
3. So Power, Data and Logging all solid and Status light continued to flash.
4. After a while, status light stopped flashing and 30 seconds or so later the other lights went out and the power up sequence restarted, ending up with the system automatically restarting logging. This happened twice as I was watching it while driving around the paddock.

What does it mean if the status light goes out during logging and the system resets like this ? It doesn't strike me as indicating a voltage drop, especially as I was running the unit off a dedicated healthy battery. After doing this test I did notice that I did not have camera 1 connected, only camera 2 - but I would be surprised if that caused the behavior I describe.

I will be trying out my kit again next weekend, but I would appreciate any insights that anyone has based on my description.

Thanks

Jimmy

Support

Postby Support » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:25 am

Morning,

The options are:

- battery voltage is getting low, but as you describe this seems unlikely in this case
- you also get the same effect if the unit gets really hot, but I think you are in Ireland... so I guess that not likely!!
- we've had a few issues with very large cards, or unbranded cards taking lots of current causing the unit to brown out. What card are you testing with?
- it's worth checking you are running the most recent firmware, if it's a new unit then I'm fairly sure you will be.

Support - Andy

Peter Carroll/Toronto

Postby Peter Carroll/Toronto » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:02 pm

I have had problems like this with transient voltage drops. If you log the voltage, yo may see it drop just before it crashes. Try running separate power from the battery - i.e. not through the main battery cable. This will isolate it from voltage drops caused by high current.

If you run a 3 pole kill switch, power it from the second smaller pole. If you use a single pole switch, use a relay to switch the separate circuit.
Peter Carroll, Toronto, Canada
DL1 and Dash2 - http://DriversMeeting.com/pcarroll

Return to “General support questions”