Corrupted CF card after one logging session...

m3irish

Corrupted CF card after one logging session...

Postby m3irish » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:08 pm

Steps to reproduce:

1. Load a good .Lap file with just a start point on the root of the CF card.
2. Put CF card into DL1 attached to DASH3.
3. Start logging via the DASH3 and head out on to track/circuit linked to the *.Lap file.
4. DASH3 says a new marker is added.
5. Everything functions as it should giving lap times.
6. Stop logging via the DASH3.
7. Pull the power on the DL1 and DASH3 via the cars 12v DC source.
8. Plug power back in.
9. Start logging via the DASH3.
10. No mention of a new marker.
11. No lap times are given.
12. Stop logging via the DASH3.
13. Power down the DL1 and DASH3.
14. Plug the CF card into a windows 7 machine via the supplied adapter.
15. Windows says the card has corruption issues.

Sometimes the data logs are corrupted. To get everything working again a fresh .Lap file must be loaded even though a byte comparison shows the file on the car is exactly the same as the .Lap file on the card. What the heck is going on? I would love to not have to reload the .Lap files every time I want to head back out on to the track. Any help would be appreciated.

My DL1/DASH3 has been nothing but a waste of time and money.

Cheers,
Rob

Support

Postby Support » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:41 am

Hi Rob,

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with your Race Technology products.

This is an issue which I myself have never come across with the combination of products which you have. Please see below a couple of things to try which may hopefully resolve your issues.

1. Please ensure the CF card is correctly formatted as per the instructions supplied with the DL1, This information can also be found printed on the unit itself.

2. Windows 7 sometimes finds an issue with external memory even when there is no such problem, this is generally found on memory sticks and the like. Always ensure that should the computer wish to 'Scan and Fix' your memory device you choose to 'Continue without Scanning' or similar. As the scan will usually result in the data being lost.

If you continue to see these issues, or have any questions regarding the points I have made please contact me directly on the following email and I will do my best to help.

sam@race-technology.com

Kind Regards,
Support (SK)

thokes82

Postby thokes82 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:07 am

Had the same... Take another CF Card even if scandisk and other things do not find errors. Somehow it worked in my case.

m3irish

Postby m3irish » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:41 pm

I will try reformatting and get back to you.

Thanks thokes. I just order another CF card just in case.

Cheers,
Rob

924RACR

Postby 924RACR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:29 pm

In general, it's a good idea to have a spare known good CF card formatted and ready to go, at the track; you never know when something might glitch or have an unplanned loss of power, and need to swap it in. It doesn't happen that often, once you have your wiring and usage sorted out, but it's too easy and cheap to not have a spare handy.

The price of lost data is far higher, just not worth it.

m3irish

Postby m3irish » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:05 pm

The corruption happened again. I think it's linked to the power as it seemed to happen as I slowly pulled power via the cars DC power supply. The next step seems to be adding a power switch so I can turn off the unit without intermittent power application. If the corruption keeps happening with multiple cards I'm not sure what to do other than sell the unit.

Return to “General support questions”