DL1 WP/Pro/Mk3 Serial Output

Moridin

DL1 WP/Pro/Mk3 Serial Output

Postby Moridin » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:38 am

In the serial output configuration section for the DL1 WP/Pro/Mk3 there are two options at the end of the list. One is 'CAN RAW data' and the other is 'Serial RAW data'. Does the 'Serial RAW data' need to be Disabled to properly read the output data in real time using your Lite Monitor software? Does it need to be Enabled to properly communicate with a Dash2?

My other questions relate to the 'CAN RAW data' option. I have an AEM Series 2 ECU outputting data over a CAN bus to the logger. Is it possible for the logger to translate CAN bus data from an input, assuming its mapped to the correct channel, to then send out on the serial bus to the Dash2? Does the 'CAN RAW data' option need to be enabled for this to happen?

Support

Support

Postby Support » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:07 pm

Hello,

Raw serial data is a advanced option (license required) that is used to capture unprocessed serial data. The only reason you would want to retransmit this data is if you want to record it on another data logger or PC.

The raw CAN is also an advanced option (license required) which converts the CAN data into serial data but it is unprocessed and is used for reverse engineering CAN protocol information mainly by displaying the CAN data in lite monitor like a CAN analyser.

Here is a screen shot of what RAW CAN data looks like in lite monitor.

To decode CAN data you do need a license we offer a CAN configuration for the AEM series 2 which can be loaded in the CAN section of the configuration software. http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... AEMSeries2

If you look at the bottom of the link then these are the channels you get. The DL1 will transmit each message at the specified rate in the DL1 configuration software to the DASH.

Moridin

Postby Moridin » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:00 pm

Thank you for the info and the timely response.

Here's a little background on why I asked:
I have a DL1 WP with the CAN option enabled (15 channels) and have successfully read CAN information from the AEM ECU into the DL1 and recorded it in the past. I'm having trouble getting that information back out onto the serial bus on the DL1 to input into a DASH2 and display the to the driver.

I asked about the Serial and CAN RAW options, because when you select the radio button for DASH2 Output in the Serial Output configuration section, it changes the Serial RAW data option to Enabled. If that option is enabled, when I try to use Monitor Lite, it will not properly display the data stream from the logger. Is it supposed to work like that? And, is the logger capable, assuming everything is connected correctly and the CAN configuration is correctly setup, of translating CAN bus input data back out over the serial out bus? Essentially what I'm asking is if the logger take the CAN bus based RPM signal from the ECU, which is mapped to the RPM channel on the logger, and relay that information over the serial output on the logger to the Dash2 in whatever format the Dash2 needs to properly display information?

Return to “General support questions”