DL1 Sport / Dash 2 Display live data on PC

Hrdbill

DL1 Sport / Dash 2 Display live data on PC

Postby Hrdbill » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:19 pm

Hi guys,

It's been a while since i've been on here, but now the project car is nearing it's wiring stage, I'm getting back into the swing of things.

Is anyone able to advise me on the following.

I have :
DL1 Sport (8 analogue inputs)
Dash 2 (4 analogue inputs)
Laptop (USB - Serial lead)

I understand I can read 'live' data from either one, onto a laptop, but my question is, can you connect a parallel serial lead, to enable you to see data from all 12 inputs simultaneously?

Something like this, but with the correct male-female connection...
0003608_1-ft-fully-loaded-serial-y-splitter-cable-db9-male-to-2-db9-females_400.jpeg
0003608_1-ft-fully-loaded-serial-y-splitter-cable-db9-male-to-2-db9-females_400.jpeg (7.85 KiB) Viewed 10248 times

My thanks in advance,

Bill

Hrdbill

Re: DL1 Sport / Dash 2 Display live data on PC

Postby Hrdbill » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:24 pm

This is the correct configuration I think ...?
Female into the DL1
Male into Dash 2
Male into PC Serial lead (at least the one I have)

12-db9-rs232-serial-splitter-cable-1-female-2-male-4.jpg
12-db9-rs232-serial-splitter-cable-1-female-2-male-4.jpg (20.16 KiB) Viewed 10247 times

Support (D)

Postby Support (D) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:46 pm

Hi Bill,

You will be able to see the 8 DL1 & 4 DASH2 analogue inputs on the live monitor software at the same time.

You require a null modem cable, you might also need a USB to serial adaptor for connecting the null modem to the computer.

Look for analogue channels 17 - 20, these will be the analogue inputs from the DASH2.

Best regards,
Support(D)

Hrdbill

Postby Hrdbill » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:28 pm

Support, thank you for your help.

So to confirm, I will need to use my null modem cable (serial one end, USB the other) and run this through a Y splitter?

I can't see how else to both send data between DL1/Dash2 and the computer at the same time without a splitter.

Many thanks

peterguk

Postby peterguk » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:10 pm

A null modem cable has a nine pin connector at each end.

Google will assist you more.

Hrdbill

Postby Hrdbill » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:28 pm

Hi Peterguk, thanks for your message.

I've been researching this lately and understand that the null modem has 9 pins like that on the DL2/Dash2 connector. It was whether or not I need a lead like the one below, to enable me to both share the data between Dash/Logger and also with a Laptop screen running live monitor at the same time.

https://www.race-technology.com/gb/racing/products/accessories/cables/cables_display-splitter-cable
dash_splitter_cable.jpg
dash_splitter_cable.jpg (12.29 KiB) Viewed 10191 times

Thanks,
Bill

Hrdbill

Postby Hrdbill » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:34 pm

peterguk wrote:A null modem cable has a nine pin connector at each end.

Google will assist you more.

Hi Peterguk and support.
Please forgive my ignorance, however I'm struggling to see how the data can be viewed at the same time it's being transferred between DL1/Dash 2 without the use of a 'Y' splitter cable. (I can't make sense of my research for 'null modem cable' and how it will support two outputs unfortunately).

Many thanks for your patience with me on this.

Kind regards,

Bill

Support (D)

Postby Support (D) » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:21 am

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the confusion, I misread the first post. In this case yes you need to use a splitter cable to connect the DL1 & DASH2 over serial and have the data sent into the live monitor software over serial also.

On the Race Technology splitter cable you have 3 connectors, each with their own label: "DL1", "MASTER" & "SLAVE". The DL1 connector connects to the DL1, the MASTER connector connects to the D-type connector on the DASH2 wiring harness and finally the SLAVE connector connects to a null modem cable which then connects to the computer / laptop either directly or via a USB to serial adaptor. (I have attached an image that shows the DL1 & DASH2 inputs displayed on the live monitor software, using the splitter cable in the configuration described above.)

More information on the splitter cable can be found here:
http://www.race-technology.com/gb/racin ... tter-cable

Best regards,
Support(D)
Attachments
Live monitor.png
Live monitor.png (86.64 KiB) Viewed 10134 times

Return to “General support questions”