DL1 Mk2 - Ducati setup

sinner-

DL1 Mk2 - Ducati setup

Postby sinner- » Tue May 16, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi guys

I currently race a Ducati 1098 and used the DL1 but the data accuracy was way off.
i mean, i could only pickup the throtle to be accurate (TPS).
The RPM was all over, as i have 3 wires and i don t know which one to actually connectm each one giving signal, but i don t know how to set it up in the software to interpret it.

the GPS sometimes gives 'jumps' in the map drawing schema, i mean, is not dissapering, but it has a small.. itch at some point, and i don t know if i can take my laps for granted when i am aiming for a let s say 0.5 seconds improve.

Any hints?

Support

Re: DL1 Mk2 - Ducati setup

Postby Support » Wed May 17, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi there,

how are you inputting sensor information into the logger? using the analogue inputs?

With regards to the RPM, do you mean to say that the reading was erratic? How do you currently have this connected?

There are three connections for RPM on the DL1 logger;

Low Level RPM
High Level RPM
High Level RPM GND

only the Low Level or High Level should be used at one time. Connecting them both may cause issues.

I would recommend with the motorcycle being fuel injected, using the low level RPM input and connecting this to the driven side of a fuel injector. e.g. as injector will have a constant 12v supply and a switch ground. If we connect the Low level RPM input to the switch ground, the injector will then give us a very reliable RPM signal.

The jumps within the GPS track map may be a result of logger placement. because the GPS data and accelerometer data is combined when creating these track maps within analysis, if the logger is not completely level, it can sometimes give errors in the map.

Feel free to send over your RUN file, and I may be able to advise further.

Kind regards,
RT Support (SK)

sinner-

Postby sinner- » Thu May 18, 2017 6:51 am

Hi guys

Many thanks for your answer.

Question 1:
So, regarding my RPM - i now find out that i was in biiiig error.
Meaning, i was trying to pickup the RPM from one of the coil wire and input into a LOW Level RPM.
So, what you say now is that i need actually to pick it up from THE INJECTOR!?
My injector has two wires, 12v and ground indeed, tell me which of these wires to input in the DL? I presume the 12V one? in the LOW lev RPM - right?

Question 2:
How to make the Gear working, shall i also pick up the speed from the bike's speed sensor?
In the first place I didn;t wanted to do this as there is no use for me, the bike's speed sensor not giving the real speed, i used the GPS speed from DL.
So, how to make DL show the correct Gear?

Question 3:

The GPS antenna i was installing it on my bike's tail. Facing the clear sky, and the DL unit inside my front faring, looking almost perfectly parallel to the asphalt.
My GPS TRACK looks good and consistent, when using it in a video editor.
I am referring to the LINES in the Race Technology software, the 'red lines' which actually show where on the track i was running, those, sometime, are.. jumped in some areas.

Regarding your answers today i will rewire all according to your advice and i will test it tomorrow at the track and then send the RUN to you.

Support

Postby Support » Thu May 18, 2017 1:00 pm

Hi There,

No problem.

regarding RPM, yes that is definitely an issue, in some cases connecting a high level signal from a coil to the low level RPM input can damage the low level RPM circuit within the logger. Please disconnect this as soon as possible and connect to a low level source such as the injector. The 12v connection on the injector will be a constant 12v, in order to see the pulses we need to connect the low level RPM connection from the logger to the GND side of the injector, This will be switching to GND to fire the injector, when it does this we get a 0-12v square wave.

if the RPM is still behaving erratic once you have changed the connection to low level, the unit may need to be sent in for inspection and possible repair.

Gear position can be calculated from GPS speed, so no need to add an extra sensor. Simply go into Data > Edit default vehicle options. Select the Gear tab, from there you will be able to input gear ratios, final drive and rolling circumferance of the wheel. Once done, select OK and the run will reprocess, Gear information should then be accurate.

Please send over any run data you have showing the issue with the track map, I'll look into this for you and see if I can see the problem.

Kind Regards,
RT Support (SK)

sinner-

Postby sinner- » Mon May 22, 2017 8:32 am

Hi

for now i have an issue, the DL is not.. logging, even if the leds are all on. both greens and both reds. i mean, the second green comes up after i press the record button.
problem is that in the end, the cf card is.. empty.
even if the writing green led is on..

i don t get it

Return to “General support questions”