Dash 2 Pro Track RUN files

Slimat

Dash 2 Pro Track RUN files

Postby Slimat » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:49 pm

Hi all

I have the Dash2 Pro and am hoping to use it to record laptimes and other data when racing this year. I dont know a lot about it as it was installed in the car already when I bought it.

However, I have read what I can online and looked through the manual... one thing which worried me was that somewhere i read that any logged data is only kept until the dash is powered off... as its installed in a race car I had visions of someone turning off the kill switch and losing an entire sessions data. So, today I hooked up the laptop and found data files from the previous owner - so I am hoping that the data should stay after powered off.

The folders I see on the dash, when connected, are;

A:\INTERNAL\ - which has a lot of 1k files all called RTCGxxx.TXT

These files just contain a series of numbers and I am not sure what these are or whther they can be deleted safely.

A:\RT160101\
A:\RT210713\

... which contains RUN_01 and RUN_02... files. These files appear to store lap GPS data and sensor recordings... unfortunately there is not much data in here and on the one 'run' which loads and shows a lap - it looks like a straight line across a field and nothing more... so unfortunately I cant really play or view this.

I can see that the folder is generated using the date of the recording and am guessing that 01/01/2016 is the default date before set up.

There is also another folder;

A:\System Volume Information

Anyway - I read that you should only have one RUN file stored on the internal memory to match the circuit you are at? So, should I manually delete the A:\RTxxxxxx\ folders and create one to match the date I am competing. E.g. A:\RT220301\ and place the track RUN file in here? If so, can I get RUN files from other members to use, as I have seen a few people asking for track RUN files, or when I start lapping will it create a RUN file to use? I get the impression that you need to get a RUN file for a particular track and store it on the internal memory prior to arriving at the track - but I am not absolutley certain of this.

Also I read that Dash2 Pro units manufactured after July 2017 come with the logging and advanced features activated, otherwise you need to pay for a licence. As the previous owner said that the dash was only purchased in 2021, I am guessing it will have logging enabled... but how do I check the manufacture date?

I am sure as time goes on there will be more that I want to know and I guess the best way to get to see how to use it is to book a track day and play... but if anyone is prepared to let me have one of their RUN files for Brands Hatch GP and Brands Hatch Indy I would be interested to load it up and see what it looks like with some lap data.

Any advice or pointers gratefully received.

Greg Amy

Re: Dash 2 Pro Track RUN files

Postby Greg Amy » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:42 pm

>>>...somewhere i read that any logged data is only kept until the dash is powered off...

That is not accurate. Everything you have it configured to log is written to internal non-volatile memory.

>>> These files just contain a series of numbers and I am not sure what these are or whther they can be deleted safely. A:\RT160101\ A:\RT210713\

Those are your data files, sorted by date folders. For example, the second one was recorded on 07/13/2021. The dash will create these folders when you begin logging.

You'll see 1/1/16 dates, which typically correspond to starting logging before the dash has GPS lock; that's its default date.

You can delete these folders.

>>> ...unfortunately there is not much data in here...

Probably because the prior user did not configure the dash to log much.

>>> Anyway - I read that you should only have one RUN file stored on the internal memory to match the circuit you are at?

You need to create .LAP files for each circuit and put them in the root of the file structure. The dash, once locked to GPS, will choose the geographically-closest one.

>>> Also I read that Dash2 Pro units manufactured after July 2017 come with the logging and advanced features activated, otherwise you need to pay for a licence.

You can connect to the powered-up unit using the R-T software, download its config, get is serial number, and look in the config software to see what licenses may have been purchased. I know CAN requires additional license, as does analog inputs over a certain amount. You can also update the firmware.

Logging is availble as a standard feature.

I see you're in the UK, so I cannot offer any .LAP files.

GA
Greg Amy
FastTech Limited, http://www.fasttechlimited.com/
Data Acquisition, Driver Consultation

Return to “General support questions”