More than 5 User Variables in DL1 analysis.. not allowed??

Ground Loop

More than 5 User Variables in DL1 analysis.. not allowed??

Postby Ground Loop » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:25 am

I am using the DL1 Analysis program with many analog inputs.

Most of these analog inputs are 0-5v representing some value like strain or Air/Fuel ratio. Unfortunately, the DL1 Analysis software won't let me create more than five User Variables to translate/scale these inputs into meaningful values! What gives?

Even worse is that I like to define intermediate variables to help with the computation.. things like bias voltage for a Throttle Position pot. That wastes one User Variable right there! So I have to make the equations more complicated to pack it all into one User Variable.

Where is this "Professional" version, and what does it offer?

Right now I have to define all the User Variables, and then selectively disable (uncheck) them to process the data in multiple passes. That's lame.

If I have a $1000 data logger that requires "$premium$" software deal with the SEVEN analog inputs that are built in, I'm not going to feel to good about that.

Say it isn't so...

DaveTurner

Postby DaveTurner » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:54 am

You can scale the analog inputs directly without having to use any user channels. If you go to Data...Variable Manager and the open up the external inputs tree, for each analog channel there is a sensor type/units section. If you select this you can enter a custom scaling using the same formulae as user channels, excep tthe input voltage is represented by 'x'.

You can also store the bias voltages in vehicle constants (under Vehicle options) so again you don't have to use user variables

Ground Loop

Postby Ground Loop » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:09 am

Ah, Nice! I didn't know I could modify the External inputs to equations as well. It's actually documented quite well, and I missed that part.

That does recover a few User Variable slots right there, assuming I don't ever want to look at the raw voltage inputs.

Some of the inputs, by nature, are a ratio of two analog inputs (one divided by the other, for example), and I think I'm still going to need User Variables for those. At least now I have a few to spare.

I also use User Variables to compute error & noise sometimes, feeding the same signal into two inputs and computing the difference.

The limit of five still feels rather arbitrary, but I think I can live with it now that I can scale the inputs "in place". Thanks for the fast reply!

Return to “General support questions”