DL1 - no GPS lock

msimanyi

DL1 - no GPS lock

Postby msimanyi » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:38 am

I'm a novice user of my DL1, and I'm having some real problems with it. When I power it up I see the upper right (green Status) LED flickering, and the lower left (red Power) LED.

The GPS lock for the most part remains unlit, even if I allow 10+ minutes to acquire satellites, though a repower occasionally yields a constant flash (at which time the unit will not begin logging.) My GPS receiver is in the middle of my roof and has a clear shot of the sky.

Any suggestions will be welcome. I'm at a loss as to the source of the problem or the fix.

Mike Simanyi

jlucas

Postby jlucas » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:56 am

Has it worked before, or did you just get this unit?

Sounds like a bad antenna. I've only seen that happen once a brand new unit but is there anyone local to you that you can try swapping with?
Jeremy Lucas
Fast Tech Limited - a Race Technology Dealer

msimanyi

Postby msimanyi » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:50 pm

I got the unit in November, if I recall correctly. I've used it a couple times while trying to familiarize myself with it, but it's been kinda intermittent. We put it in one friend's car for a couple laps and he didn't get any data because it wouldn't lock.

But after that I've used it successfully. One possible caveat: the GPS lock never really worked the way it was described to me Saturday. I'm told it flashes for the number of satellites acquired. Mine has never flashed with any pattern.

I ordered another antenna last night. If that *isn't* the problem, I'll have a spare. Hopefully it's the problem.

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:31 pm

Mike:

If it IS the antenna, we owe you a new one under warranty!

By the way, your DL1 is presumably a 10Hz unit judging by the date. The 10Hz units act a bit differently -

When GPS lock is achieved:

5Hz units: Long flash, followed by a quick short flash for each satellite seen. Repeats every few seconds.

10Hz units: Steady flashing maybe 2x per second means a lock, but there is no indication of the # of satellites.

Having said which, if you get no flash at all after 10 minutes of power on w/ antenna "seeing" the sky, then you certainly have no GPS lock. A bad antenna is probably the most common cause of that.
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

m3driver

Postby m3driver » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:31 am

I have noticed on a few units that if you really tighten the antenna connector down hard, for some reason you will not get a lock.

Marco

msimanyi

Postby msimanyi » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:49 am

RTUSA wrote:Mike:

If it IS the antenna, we owe you a new one under warranty!

By the way, your DL1 is presumably a 10Hz unit judging by the date. The 10Hz units act a bit differently -

When GPS lock is achieved:

5Hz units: Long flash, followed by a quick short flash for each satellite seen. Repeats every few seconds.

10Hz units: Steady flashing maybe 2x per second means a lock, but there is no indication of the # of satellites.

Having said which, if you get no flash at all after 10 minutes of power on w/ antenna "seeing" the sky, then you certainly have no GPS lock. A bad antenna is probably the most common cause of that.

Well, if the new antenna solves the problem I may take you up on that "offer". (I'd like to have a spare handy just in case.)

Based on other posts I've read, I believe mine is 10Hz, which explains that difference. I know I've had good data on a number of runs and never saw the rhythmic flash. Comparing it with an older unit, we noticed the antennas appeared to be different. That's probably another clue to the 10Hz status.

I'll be sure to experiment with the tension of the fastener too to see if it has any effect.

Thanks!

Mike

Return to “General support questions”