No files created when logging

IainM

No files created when logging

Postby IainM » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:30 pm

Howdo,

Had my DL1 since 2004. Hooked it up to the new car tonight, 3 wires only: +ve, earth and RPM feed.

The RPM feed is from an MBE 967E ECU (dedicated tacho output), straight to the 5v RPM input on the DL1

I get power and GPS lights ok (though no GPS lock since I'm inside the workshop).

When I push the red button, the "logging" light comes on. I give it 60 seconds or so, then push it again and it goes off.

But... when I look at the card, there's no new file(s) on it. There's plenty free space on the card.

A note on my RPM connection: the output from the ECU appears to be an open-collector output. To drive my dash, I've used a 360ohm pullup resistor between the tacho wire and the 12v supply.

I'm hoping I haven't damaged the DL1...?

Help...?!
Cheers,
Iain M

tristancliffe

Postby tristancliffe » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:48 am

Is the card Fat16 (I hate to say it, because it sounds so rude to assume you might not have)
Monoposto 2000 - Reynard 883 Toyota

IainM

Postby IainM » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:40 am

Aye... it's the original card that came with the DL1. It still has a few files from 2004 on it.
Cheers,
Iain M

tristancliffe

Postby tristancliffe » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:48 am

Apparently if you delete files WITHOUT re-formatting, it can confuse the DL1. If I were you I'd seriously try backing up all the runs on the card, and reformatting again.

But the problem could be somewhere else altogether, in which case you need someone cleverer than me to help you.
Monoposto 2000 - Reynard 883 Toyota

IainM

Postby IainM » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:13 pm

Ah... I dont *think* I've deleted any files, but it is a possibility in 3 years...!

I'll try reformatting tonight. I'm also going to stop by PC World or Maplin on the way home and pick up a serial/USB adaptor so I can plug the laptop into it and fire up the monitor software.

If that doesn't show anything up, I'll give RT a call tomorrow and see about getting the unit checked out.

Help much appreciated,
Cheers,
Iain M

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:23 pm

Also note that, when logging is started without a GPS lock, you may get the data in a folder with a default date code on it, and with a default timestamp on the file itself. That has fooled me several times into thinking that I had data missing when I really did not.

99+% of the time, if the logging light is lit, it really is logging. If there is a card problem the logging light will usually go on and back off, or not come on at all.
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

IainM

Postby IainM » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:01 pm

Thanks for that.

There were a number of folders on the card, all with similar timestamps.

I'll have another trawl through the data tonight - there's probably only a dozen files in total (unless there's a particular datestamp I should be looking for?)

More anon,
Cheers,
Iain M

IainM

Postby IainM » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:28 pm

Well, you were right. It's writing files with default datestamps because of the lack of GPS signal.

Hooked up the monitor and it looked ok. So I wiped the card, and recorded 60 seconds worth of data, and presto! All is fine...

Thanks for the advice,
Cheers,
Iain M

Return to “General support questions”