DL1 mk2 connectors

dstevens

DL1 mk2 connectors

Postby dstevens » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:34 pm

I'm upgrading from the DL1 mk1 to mk2.

Is there any alternative to the Weidmuller constant tension connector?

I've never had any problems with the old screw type connectors, but the new connector is a serious pain in the ass. Most wires don't have enough retention force and pull out easily. Only smaller gauge wire seems to work at all.

I guess the best answer might be to find the best retention wire and solder extensions onto the existing wiring.

Also, how do the new connections compare to the old DL1? Which of rL, rH & rG is the low voltage rpm input (my guess is rL). Does the 5-15V limit still apply to this input, or is it a maximum of 5V?

jlucas

Postby jlucas » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:22 pm

Derek, I haven't had any wire retention problems, just wire size.

rH is RPM High Level
rG is RPM High Level Ground
rL is RPM Low Level (5V max)
Jeremy Lucas
Fast Tech Limited - a Race Technology Dealer

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:50 pm

The 5V is nominal as before, actually OK up to ~15V as before, triggers around 4V as before.

I have not had any retention issues with the Weidmuller connectors either, that is supposed to be the strong point. Have a look at the photo in the stickied connector thread under Installation Questions, maybe you don't have the wire in the correct aperture.

We need to add that to our literature, of course.

Biggest limitation to my perspective is the fact that only one wire will really fit into the aperture, thus requiring external junctions in many cases. Several of our customers have found "Posi-Lock" connectors to be a good solution for that.
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

dstevens

Postby dstevens » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:05 pm

In the end I had to solder 18AWG wire onto all the existing wires, and this wire is the absolute maximum size the connectors will take, but is very hard to pull out. Where two wires previously in the same connector, I had to join these together. The 22-28AWG sensor wire would pull out straight away (not as I had previously stated). The connector really needs more grounds and 5V for sensors.

After reflashing the firmware the v6 serial monitor no longer works. Has the new firmware changed the output protocol?

Edit: the serial port doesn't work at 9600 baud on the new style DL1. It works at 4800 baud, 19200 baud, 38400 baud, 115200 baud, and possibly other values which I did not test. When set to 9600 baud it usually resets to 115200 baud, but sometimes is a random value (38400 baud in my case). As a side note the baud rate is not changed by reflashing, and is set upon power up from the setup.bin file on the cf card. If the card is not present in subsequent power ups the baud rate is retained. Sometimes I had to power cycle the DL1 twice in order for it to read the setup.bin file from CF card and adjust the baud rate.

Return to “General support questions”