Autostart initial set-up

oilrag22

Autostart initial set-up

Postby oilrag22 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:27 pm

Just read about the autostart/autostop function on the DL-1, also read some threads about problems getting it to work properly.

We use the DL-1 on a roadrace motorcycle, just in conjunction with a GPS sensor. We "lost" data on track days, because the bike is parked in a pitbox, where there is no GPS signal available.

At the moment, we power up the DL-1, push the bike out, wait till we get the GPS lock and then start the logger manually on the DL-1 unit. Of course when things get hectic sometimes, the bike does get pushed out, the GPS will lock pretty quick, but it happened a couple of times that the manual start of the log was forgotten...

What would be the best initial set-up for autostart/-stop for this set-up.bin ...

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:56 pm

I like to use autostart on speed, say 50kph. Note that the config app dialog box is in 1/10ths of a kph, so you would enter 500.

I usually do not use autostop, I can remember to stop it better than I can remember to start it!.
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

oilrag22

Postby oilrag22 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:09 pm

thanks for the quick reply, will try this config...

You are right on the autostop, as soon as the bike is recovered from the track, the CF card is taken right out of the DL-1. So setting up an autostop is def. not a necessity.

Tried to get the (.hex) firmware update from the site:

http://www.race-technology.com/upload/DL1V6.zip

But the link seems to be dead...

Is there any way of acquiring this update??

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:30 pm

I'll email to you.

Is your DL1 an early type with twin single row connector blocks and serial port on front, or late type with a single two row connector block and serial port on the front.
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

oilrag22

Postby oilrag22 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:38 pm

Pffff, don't know from the top of my head. And haven't got the bike/DL1 here.
But am diagnostic expert by profession, so i won't make an error uploading the wrong firmware.

Would be good to have both on the harddrive of my laptop, so i can upgrade during the weekend.

So if you would be so good to send them both to my e-mailaddress, saying which firmware is which, i should be out of the woods.

Thanks in advance!!

To my best knowledge it has two single row screw-in connectors, but just to be sure i got the firmware...... please send both
Last edited by oilrag22 on Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

chumpy36

Postby chumpy36 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:18 am

Does the fact that you are accelerating to that 50kph make any difference in the quality of the data? Or does zeroing the accelerometers in the software take car of any issues?

thanks

Jason

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:18 pm

I'm making the assumption that this is a road (circuit) racing environment, such that the first tiny bit of data is of no interest anyway. The GPS module's output is unaffected by logging or not anyway, but you could possibly see minor effects (for the first tiny bit only) in Analysis if you (as you usually should) combine the accelerometer data with the GPS data.

You do raise a good point, Chumpy - re auto zeroing the accelerometers. My preference, short of an absolutely level installation, is to use fixed correction factors for the accelerometers. (When I'm bothering to be precise, that is, for many purposes "about level" gives good enough results).

The best way to do that is to record a shortish (say 20 seconds) .run file with the vehicle stationary in a level spot. Load that .run file (by itself) in Analysis, then use Data > Vehicle Options > Accelerometers > Calc Offsets. That will calculate and load offset corrections, which can be saved and reloaded as a vehicle (.car) file.

For most applications I don't particularly like "auto zero before each run" as that assumes that the vehicle is level and not accelerating for the first few seconds of the run. It uses the first few seconds of data - assumed to be stationary and level - to calculate an offset. This obviously is incompatible with motion-based autostart. And doesn't work too well at my local track (VIR), where the pre-grid is on a steepish hill!
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

Return to “General support questions”