Dash2 Hondata KPro interface incompatibility

midlana

Dash2 Hondata KPro interface incompatibility

Postby midlana » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:26 pm

Race Technology sells a Hondata KPro ECU interface which expects RS-232 serial data via a DB-9 connector. Unfortunately the Hondata KPro outputs USB serial data so as received, it won't "just work."

Al (RTUSA) says that the KPro does provide RS-232 serial data, but it's only available internally, sooo users get to wire up a DB-9 cable. Not a big deal if you know how to do it but unexpected.

Hondata probably changed their data from RS-232 to USB data and didn't notify RT, but regardless, RT needs to address the issue. Receiving a $200 data converter and finding it's unusable right out of the box is disappointing. If this is still an issue when I get mine running I'll post how to do it.

AndyD

Postby AndyD » Mon May 11, 2009 7:09 am

What type Honda ECU is it - PRA/ PRB etc Did you get this to work ?

Support

Postby Support » Tue May 12, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi Guys,

We are getting lots of questions about the Hondata at the moment. Just to be absolutely clear:

The PRB does works with our ECU adapter. We've done a number of installs with this type of ECU and it's working very well. The PRB variant is the ECU typically sold in the USA.

The PRA doesn't have a data output and as such our interface doesn't work. The PRA is typically the variant available outside the USA.

Does that help at all?!

Kind regards,

Andy

AndyD

Postby AndyD » Fri May 15, 2009 6:14 am

Support wrote:Hi Guys,

We are getting lots of questions about the Hondata at the moment. Just to be absolutely clear:

The PRB does works with our ECU adapter. We've done a number of installs with this type of ECU and it's working very well. The PRB variant is the ECU typically sold in the USA.

The PRA doesn't have a data output and as such our interface doesn't work. The PRA is typically the variant available outside the USA.

Does that help at all?!

Kind regards,

Andy

Andy that does help, because you only get that data from the Hondata web site if your trawl through it - you really should add that into ECU FAQ because its not at all clear on the RT Website.

The added issue is that the Hondata uses a USB connection to connect up to a laptop, not Serial so you have to make a cable - its not at all plug and play - However using the Hondata software you can see all the stuff you want to log in real time , so its natural for non techie people to think your ECU connection uses that USB port.

Actually, what would be heaven was if there was a "box" that had a USB at one end for the Hondata ECU and a serial at the other for the DL1. That would then work with any ECU including the PRA, opening up the World for the interface ;-)

Samsonite79

K-pro adapter

Postby Samsonite79 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:00 am

Hi, I just received my DL1 with K-pro ECU Adapter too, so are you guys saying that I have to cut and splice the Serial Cable to get the PIN 2 RS232 Input from the ECU connector side and hook it up to the Kpro E24 Pin for Serial communication? I emailed Race-Technology asking what am I missing or if there is an extra adapter I'm missing. Because it's ridiculous to pay $200 for a incomplete cable and expect to make your own cables.... :-( I've yet to install the ECU interface Adapter for the Kpro pending that answer. Thank you guys for any input.

midlana

Postby midlana » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:16 pm

Support wrote:The PRB does works with our ECU adapter. We've done a number of installs with this type of ECU and it's working very well. The PRB variant is the ECU typically sold in the USA.

Do we agree that the RT data converter has a DB9 connector at the end of the cable? Mine does. And I have a newly-modified Kpro PRB ECU right here that has a Hondata-added connector in the ECU case - a USB connector. So it's physically impossible to plug one into the other. If I'm wrong I'd be happy to have RT explain the proper interface, including pin numbers and directions on what has to be cut and jumped. My guess is that it does work with an RS-232/USB converter, but it certainly does not right out of the box.

midlana

Postby midlana » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:17 pm

I'd like to get this resolved, thanks.

Support

Postby Support » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:39 pm

This is the documentation we have done for the connection of the Hondata ECU using our ECU interface:

The K-Series ECU can be configured to output a serial stream for a datalogger.

Note that only PRB calibrations support the serial output. PRB calibrations may be used in PNF, PRD, PRC and PND ECUs with re-tuning, but cannot be used in PRA ECUs.

Software Setting
1. Locate and edit the KManager.ini file. This file is located in the KManager installation directory.
2. Under the [Settings] line, add a new line DataloggingOutput=1
3. In KManager under Parameters, Misc, Multiplexer select the 'Datalogger Output' option.

Electrical Specifications
• Pin E24 (SEFMJ), normally used for dashboard communication. Note that the use of this pin for a serial output stream will result in the stock water temperature gauge and charge indicator being disabled.
• 12V / 0V signal levels. The high signal level may follow battery voltage (ie 10 - 14 V)
• Normal polarity (idle state is 12V).

On the Race Technology ECU adaptor there is a 9-way d-type connector labelled ECU. You need to connect PIN2 to PIN E24 of the ECU.

If you are powering the ECU from a different power source as the ECU adaptor then you will also need to connect pin 5 from the ECU adaptor to the ECU’s power supply ground.

midlana

Postby midlana » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:13 pm

Thank you! So the RT interface doesn't even use the Hondata-added USB, instead picking up what it needs off the ECU's network. That makes sense, allowing the laptop to be connected to the ECU... good.

Return to “Installation questions”