RPM on e36 BMW - Wrong scale?

ntovsen

RPM on e36 BMW - Wrong scale?

Postby ntovsen » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:07 pm

Hello,

I have an e36 BMW ('93 325is) and am trying to log an RPM signal to my Mk1 DL1.

I've found a number of resources referencing connector X16 pin 20 (black wire) on the instrument cluster as a good place to get a tach signal for external tachs, shift lights, and data loggers. I hooked up a cheap voltmeter to this wire and appeared to be getting what looked like a 5v pulse, so I connected it to the "RPM" input on the DL1.

The general shape of the RPM curve looks to be correct in the software, but it appears to be something around 2000 RPM too high across the entire range. The software shows the engine achieving over 9000 RPM, but that simply isn't possible for this engine (rev limit is 7200).

I haven't found any documentation or forum posts of anyone having a problem such as this, and there appear to be no "calibration" options on the RPM signal. As I mentioned, I've found several forum posts where people have successfully used this wire as a standard 5v tach signal. What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Neal

osborni

Postby osborni » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:37 pm

Set "ignition pulses per rev" to 3 in the analysis software

Data>Vehicle options>RPM & wheel pickup.

I have a s52 M Coupe.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

ntovsen

Postby ntovsen » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:48 am

Awesome! Thanks. Didn't come across any mention of that setting anywhere in the docco, but the plot looks perfect now.

osborni

Postby osborni » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:02 pm

Don't know about the newer stuff, but parts and mods for the e36 generation are cheep. Aside from a Miata, the e36M3 is probably the best balance of on track performance and low running costs. (some might say mustangs, but IMHO a solid rear axle isn't a real track car :)) The e46 generation is close behind and getting cheaper as more of that generation are showing up in U-Pull junk yards. The e36 has been racing for years and has an active and well developed set of aftermarket tuners to supply up-rated parts.

The only running maintenance most people do is change oil and other fluids. You wear out brake rotors and pads, but that's expected.

A few cooling system upgrades (radiator $300 and a new water pump $50) and it's good to go for years. Longer running maintenance is lower front control arms ($250 a set) and front wheel bearings ($200 a set). But that sort of stuff wears on all track cars.

Now, low running costs for a track car is relative. It still is expensive.

The 335 needs an uprated oil cooler as the turbo motor gets *very* hot. The suspension is basically the same design as the 5 series. But it hasn't been around as long so there isn't an aftermarket as well developed as the e36/e46 cars.

IMHO - I wouldn't track a car that I didn't own outright. No sense balling up a car on tire wall and then get a bank chasing you. So a perfectly good $50k street car on a track isn't the best idea, unless you can write a check for it.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

Return to “Installation questions”