Video4 and missing channels

Peter Carroll/Toronto

Video4 and missing channels

Postby Peter Carroll/Toronto » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:36 am

Using a Video4, DL1, CAN interface, Dash2 all wired as per the manual.

The inputs from the DASH2 are not getting to the Video4. The Dash2 is configured for RPM, and A1-3 are OilTemp, OilPress, FuelPress, FuelLevel. The dash is working correctly and is reading items from the other devices such as Coolant Temp from the CAN bus.

Also, the DL1 config is set with all channels enabled to 100Hz and Decode Serial Data is enabled.

I assume then the ring must be complete. Any idea why I am not logging any of the channels from the Dash2 on the Video4? The Video4 is also not recording predictive lap times but it is showing GPS speed.
Peter Carroll, Toronto, Canada
DL1 and Dash2 - http://DriversMeeting.com/pcarroll

Support

Postby Support » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:19 am

The analogue channels on the DASH2 should be available as Analogue channels 17-20 in the Analysis software/VIDEO4 config.

Could you send me a VIDEO4 layout file and possibly some recorded data as well? gummi(at)race-technology.com

Peter Carroll/Toronto

Postby Peter Carroll/Toronto » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:27 pm

They are but no data is showing up. Also RPM reads as zero so how do I know which RPM it is logging? i.e. RPM from the Dash2 or RPM from the DL1?

I am going to try to reload everything one more time. All the config files look okay to me but maybe they did not load in the hardware for some reason.

This product would be a lot easier to work with if all of the intelligence was in one box. i.e. the Dash, DL1, CAN adapter, Video4 all have a lot of functional overlap...

Peter Carroll/Toronto

Postby Peter Carroll/Toronto » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:58 pm

Working now. The issue was surrounding the flow of data around the serial ring.

So here is what I was missing...

Data flows via the serial cables in a chain or ring. The order in my case is DASH2 - CAN adapter - DL1 - Video4 - Dash2. The order is important to understand. If you get the order wrong, you won't know what to configure for what.

Each device receives data packets from the upstream device, merges them with its channels in a buffer, then resends them to the next device. So you need to understand and configure each device for the needs of the next device in the chain.

My RPM problem was because the Dash2, CAN Adapter, and DL1 all have RPM inputs. My intended RPM channel was the Dash2. But the CAN adapter was replacing that it it's RPM input (called Engine Speed). Then the DL1 was replacing that with a blank RPM (the input was not connected).

The Dash2 is different. It displays from its channels and then sends that data to the next device. It also receives and displays data from the previous device. But apparently it does not buffer and rebroadcast that data. So it's more like a chain of devices where the ends of the chain overlap in the Dash. It's not a complete ring.

The device before the Dash2 also needs to limit the speed of the broadcast to 5Hz on most channels. Apparently the Dash2 does not have enough processing power to process more. The button in the config programs make this easy. But you just do it for the device before the Dash2. I understand the Dash3 does not have this limitation.

With this in mind, I disabled the Engine Speed in the CAN adapter and also disabled RPM in the DL1. Now the RPM channel makes it through the chain to the Video4. I also congifured the DL1 to output data at a slower rate for the Dash.

Works great.

Return to “Installation questions”