Erratic data with RPM pickup

Xavier

Erratic data with RPM pickup

Postby Xavier » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:15 pm

I've just installed a new DL1-DASH3 combo on a 1987 Porsche 944 S4. I've ordered too the RMP pickup cable, and attached it to the main spark plug as shown in this picture :

Unfortunately, I'm not obtainig a reliable RPM signal: the values are constantly fluctuating, with high differences from the own car's dash RPM values, showing sometimes very high sustained RPM values (20.000 RPM) regardless of throttle position changes.

I've also tested maintaing the car on route maintaining 4.000 revs during a while, no better results here. This is a screenshot of the recorded data:

Looking at the knowledge base, I've changed pickup position, tried to remove pickup isolation and even disconnecting ground cable, but all remains the same.

I know that pickup is not the best RPM acquisition system, but I was expecting some decent results. What am I doing wrong ? Has anyone some experience with RPM pickups on classic Porsches ? Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards.

osborni

Postby osborni » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:32 am

Try plug 4 not 1, and shorten the wire. Don't run it over the other wires if you can avoid it.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

Xavier

Postby Xavier » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:34 am

I'll try. Thanks.

Return to “Installation questions”