DTA S80, DL1 Mk2, Dash3Lite and Serial ECU cable

grabla

DTA S80, DL1 Mk2, Dash3Lite and Serial ECU cable

Postby grabla » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:38 am

I bought a CANBUS ECU cable harness several years ago to work with my DTA S80, finished the car this year, and now have my Dash3Lite connected to the DL1 for GPS speed.

Ideally I'd like the DL1 to read the CAN data from the S80, which is the reason why I bought the cable (but not yet connected it due to confusion over how it all fits together)

How do I connect the S80 to the DL1, whilst retaining the Dash3Lite connection, and more importantly, can the Dash3Lite display water + air temperatures etc?

Documentation seems to focus on Dash 1 and 2 only.

I understand that my Dash3Lite may be upgraded from Lite to full, via a supplied activation number. How much does this cost? Will I benefit, or rather, do I need to do this to view the engine parameters.
Last edited by grabla on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

grahamblackwell

Postby grahamblackwell » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:54 pm

So thats a 'dont know then'?
2011: 200BHP Duratec & Quaife Sequential box

WillM

Postby WillM » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:47 am

The ECU interface wire is a Y-cable which allows simultaneous connection to the logger, dash, and ECU. This diagram shows Dash1 / Dash2, however the same setup works for the Dash3. I have my DL-1, Dash3, and ECU interface working perfectly with this setup as pictured in the Knowledge Base:
KnowledgeBase Article: ConnectingHardware / DLx-ECU-DASHx
http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... -ECU-DASHx

I know nothing about DTA ECUs. That said, according to this Knowledge Base article, it sounds like he ECUs can be setup to put out either CAN or serial data, which begs the question: Did you purchase a CAN or serial ECU adapter?

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... /DTAS40ECU

grabla

Postby grabla » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:48 am

Yes, just checked, it is the CANBUS cable that I bought in May 2010

:D

I'm not sure if the CANBUS connects in to the D-type on the ECU, or if I need to wire it in to the pins on the ECU connector. IIRC I've run a pair of wires out from the ECU, and I think these are the ones that provide the CANBUS signal on the ECU. I'll check on the DTA forum.

grabla

Postby grabla » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:12 am

Easier than I thought. Wire the supplied RT CAN cable directly to the S80 CAN 'hi' and 'low' wires, and plug it all together. Simples :D

grahamblackwell

Postby grahamblackwell » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:51 pm

So its all hooked up.

I've created the setup.bin file on the CF card, so that the DL1 expects to rx data from the CAN interface, and in the S80 I've turned on the CAN output stream.

SO is that it? No clever programming involved. The two will now talk together....

On the Dash3Lite, it skips screen 4 when I try to select it? Why, what was screen 4 for?
2011: 200BHP Duratec & Quaife Sequential box

Return to “Installation questions”