DASH2 bricked?

Jason Rhoades

DASH2 bricked?

Postby Jason Rhoades » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:53 am

Bought a DASH2 a few years ago, just now getting around to configuring.

Out of the box the backlight would come on when given power and ground on the right leads. The message about minimum firmware version when launching the latest DASH2 config software led me to want to flash it to the latest version.

Downloaded latest firmware version and RT software package 8.5. Connected to serial port on my PC - have one old enough to have one natively, no USB/serial adapter, and no serial extender, just the lead off the DASH2. The flashing seemed to go ok (fog light flashing) but stopped short and failed.

Now when power is supplied to the DASH2, the backlight doesn't come on, and it seems to "boot", where the LEDs eventually most all light up, displaying mostly 8's and gobbledygook.

When I attempt to reflash, the pop-up says "Reflashing", then "Sending Handshake Data",then "Logger Ready For Code", then instantly to the "An error has occoured during data transmission, please check the connections and try again" and "Error - reflash failed".

I tried formatting a CF card, placing just the latest DASH.HEX file only on it (even tried using the native file name, and just "DASH.HEX" as shown in the instructions) - and put in it my DL1 MK2. With the DASH2 serially connected straight in to the DL1, nothing happens - have tried every possible sequence of powering up devices and inserting the CF card.

Bottom lights for turn signals still work when given power, they did originally, guess that isn't software driven?

Have a feeling I bricked this thing which is a bummer, I really didn't do anything wrong. What more should I try? I didn't prep any of the leads for buttons because I don't plan on running them, but is there a button press combo that could help? I've heard of people trying old firmwares with success, but in my case it doesn't seem to even communicate any more. Tried lots of different serial/COM port settings to no avail.

Spent a lot of time on this, ready for some assistance. Thanks,
Jason Rhoades
http://www.rhoadescamaro.com/build

Support

Support

Postby Support » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:13 pm

First thing to try is to connect up button and hold it down when switching it on. After a few seconds the orange fog LED should come on and the will entre bootloader mode. If it does this means the processor is still running. If the it doesn't it means it is broken or already in bootloader mode.

Try again reflashing once this is done.

It will be worth checking the ground on the connector. Pin 5 on the DASH2's serial port connector should buzz using a multi-meter to the ground the DASH2 is powering from.

Regards,

Jason Rhoades

Postby Jason Rhoades » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Tried this with the down button, tried with the up button (also up and down buttons together) to no avail. Will try the up button a few more times before sending it in, would prefer to not have to wait for it to get back from the UK :)

When you say "buzz", you mean there should be 12V on pin5? Will check it out, but what if there isn't?

Fog light hasn't come on under any combination of button presses and flash techniques (flashing from 2 different computers, off the DL1, different COM ports, various buttons held, etc.) since it halted during the reflash process.

Jason Rhoades

Postby Jason Rhoades » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:49 am

At risk of wearing out the on/off switch on my power supply, tried this many more times tonight, to no avail. Tried up, down, menu, select buttons, and every possible combination thereof, powering up connected, connecting at ~1,2,3 seconds after power up, etc.

Pin5 on serial has continuity to ground - about 28ohms resistance.

Support

Support

Postby Support » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:56 pm

When attempting to reflash does the reflash program count down to 0?

Jason Rhoades

Postby Jason Rhoades » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:59 pm

Always the same thing - when I attempt to reflash, the pop-up says "Reflashing", then "Sending Handshake Data",then "Logger Ready For Code", then instantly to the "An error has occoured during data transmission, please check the connections and try again" and "Error - reflash failed". No countdown, no blinking of fog light.

Support

Support

Postby Support » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:13 pm

Please send me an email kieran@race-t... I will send you some different firmware to try.

Jason Rhoades

Postby Jason Rhoades » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:19 am

Wanted to send a quick thanks to Al at R-T USA, who is loaning me a fully functional DASH2 while mine gets un-bricked. The loaner arrived today and works perfectly. This is great support!

Return to “Installation questions”