DL1 and RPM

mikek1795

DL1 and RPM

Postby mikek1795 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:17 pm

DL1 and RPM problems on a Yammaha FJ 1200 four stroke. It has no distributor. Two coil, each with two plug leads. It revs to 13,000 rpm.

No matter how i connect or configure RPM it will not work correctly with v6 software.
Needle on virtual dashboard either jumps around or sits on max revs.
Any ideas?

Mike.

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:16 pm

Mike:

My apologies for not knowing the vehicle at all, but I can ask some questions:

1. You mention not working with V6 - has it ever worked previously?

2. What connections have you tried?

3. Does the bike have an electronic or mechanical tach?
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

mikek1795

Postby mikek1795 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:35 am

Al,

Only have v6
Have tried the plug lead and red coil lead
Tach is electronic
Any sugestions you might have for hook up would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Support

Postby Support » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:37 pm

If you connect directly to the coil you need to connect to the negative side, the side which is switched by the ignition system. If you have connected to the red wire this could well be the 12v side which is just a permanent 12v while the ignition is turned on. I would try connecting to one of the other wires on the coil.

Martin

RTTakezo

Postby RTTakezo » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:37 pm

MikeK,
Any resolution? I used my DL1 for the first time (motorcycle, V-twin with coils) this weekend and failed to get my RPM input to work correctly either. I was attmepting to use the cable/p-clip sold by RT, with hot lead clipped around plug wire. My results were even more confusing, in that the data was totally all over the chart with not recognizable pattern. I ran out of time trouble shooting and was thinking about trying to hook either directly into a coil or the tach feed. Would prefer tying directly into the coil as it's easier and doesn't require splicing.

Cheers,
Scott
Cheers,
Scott
Crew Chief
Allen Applicators Racing
WERA#183 / SV650

mikek1795

Postby mikek1795 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:09 am

Scott,
Have tried the trigger lead to the coil with no success.
Documentation is not good, and of no help really.
I am going to contact support again.

MIke.

RTTakezo

Postby RTTakezo » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:57 pm

Think I've finally sorted out my RPM difficulties...(final test will be in a couple weeks).

My final setup (that resulted in what appears to be good results with bike on stands); Spk in lead from P-clip around plug wire. Rubber grommet removed from P-clip. Small amount of aluminum foil wrapped around plug wire, under P-clip (about 1 1/2" wide). Ground wire NOT used (reminder, I'm using the pre-fab cable sold by RT).

Interesting side note; I was doing the testing using the direct monitor capability of the DL1 and stream to memory directly from the Monitor software. Strangely enough (after more than a few failed/confused results), I had to leave everything running while I saved the stream to memory data to a .RUN file. I probably should have realized this....but didn't.... I had been shutting off the engine and DL1 prior to saving the stream to memory data. What I would get is weird (ie. no pattern) results to all logged data. When I saved with everything still running (Bike and DL1), I got solid .RUN files. I'm presuming the bike running is not relevent (didn't have time to test), but that the DL1 must still be on with good status when saving stream to memory data to .RUN file...
Cheers,
Scott
Crew Chief
Allen Applicators Racing
WERA#183 / SV650

Return to “Sensor-related questions”