Factory Sensor interfacing for 91 Miata?

k3mm

Factory Sensor interfacing for 91 Miata?

Postby k3mm » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:04 pm

I've got a DL1 and am installing a DASH2. I'm hoping someone here has wiring and/or calibration values for hooking up some of the factory sensors? I'm open to suggestions on useful ones to add to the system for performance monitoring as well. Thanks!
Tyler Stewart
SM #07
NASA Mid-Atlantic

jlucas

Postby jlucas » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:09 am

Generally speaking, most factory ECU sensors are resistance based. You need voltage based for input to the DL1.

Unfortunately the Miata TPS only tells you open or closed unlike most other cars, so my Miata customers usually use a small string pot for throttle position.
Jeremy Lucas
Fast Tech Limited - a Race Technology Dealer

k3mm

Postby k3mm » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:11 pm

I know about the TPS switch.

Resistance, yes, but there is a voltage applied to those sensors which drops when the resistance of the sensor drops. If the resistance of the DL1 input is insignificant in comparison, you should be able to hook it in parallel with the sensor and read what the ECU is reading without significantly affecting it's operation. That's probably the trick...I'll have to do some research. Coming up with calibration values might be more difficult.
Tyler Stewart
SM #07
NASA Mid-Atlantic

racecar73

Miata sensors

Postby racecar73 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:40 pm

You can pull fuel level, H2O temp, and Oil Pressure off the back of the dashboard on an early miata. Of course, these are just voltages and you need to calibrate the signal to something useful... not hard, just time consuming.

I have calibrations that I did for my '90 miata - what are they worth to people? :twisted:

initial-d

Postby initial-d » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:49 pm

racecar73:

I have a Mazda RX-7 FD which is a 92 and I'm pretty sure they run the same sensors - any chance you could supply me with the calibrations? :D

Looking at the wiring diagrams all the sensors are three wire voltage types so all I need do is connect up the wires and input the calculations, I take it this is all you had to do for your sensors?

Return to “Sensor-related questions”