Dash3 not displaying Temperatures

DrJim

Dash3 not displaying Temperatures

Postby DrJim » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:57 pm

I have a DL2/Dash3 in an Swift DB1 FF.
Oil and Water Temp sensors are Bosch.

Cannot get temp to display on Dash3.

No luck with drop down menu for Bosch sensor - Dash3 outputs zero (0).
No luck with corrected equation from this forum - Dash3 outputs zero.
Dash3 will output volts ok.
Dash3 will output a simple equation (x*30) ok.
Using Firmware V031.10 6/1/2009.
In all cases, data is logging on DL2 ok.
RT Analysis software (7.3.72) works ok.

I did a support request to RT a couple days ago and update it as new things are tried, but no response yet.

Solutions or insights to resolution of this issue are appreciated.
Jim

DrJim

Postby DrJim » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:17 pm

Got bored waiting for a solution so gave it a shot myself. Here is my response to RT.
Downloaded a Bosch semi-log graph (Ohms vs Temp). Inserted it into CAD system and extracted Ohm values for corresponding Temp values. Put values in Excel and converted Ohms to Volts (using 5V input and 1K ohm pull up resistor). Got best fit equation in "ln" format.

DegF = -88*ln(x)+188.

Plugged equation into Dash3 setup for both water temp and oil temp. Both display 86 deg F. Temp on wall thermometer is 88 F.
Is this equation a rational solution? R^2 on the curve fit is >.99
Thanks, Jim

Comments welcomed - especially if you see a shortcoming, like its a bit weak on the low temp side.
Jim

Support

Postby Support » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:09 pm

Hi DrJim,

Very sorry for the lack of response from our side. Last week was a support nightmare with 3 of the 4 support guys out the office.

The "curve fit" equations that we normally use are here:

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... librations

But that doesn't mean that is the only answer, or indeed an optimal answer. The reason that we use polynomials is historic, this is the only equation form understood by the DASH2 and it used to be the only form understood by the analysis software.

I'm a bit confused, did you select the bosch temperature sensor from the drop down menu in the DASH3 configuration program and get "0"? If so that is a bug and we need to investigate. We did have a problem with using "," for the decimal sperator in this software, but this was fixed a short while ago - could this have been the issue? I'm not aware of any current issues with the software.

Kind regards,

Andy

DrJim

Postby DrJim » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:53 pm

Andy,
In response to you question, "did you select the bosch temperature sensor from the drop down menu in the DASH3 configuration program and get "0"?", the answer is yes.

You call it a bug, that is mild compared to what I was calling it - more like a big Texas cockroach.
You may want to consider this a software issue.
Also, while you are at it, there is no Deg F for Oil Temp drop down, but there are two Deg C drop downs.

As for the comma "," decimal seperator, it is not part of my learning. I always use "." as you rightly advise. Some year ago I reported into a boss located in London and enjoyed the challeges of a common language.

On another issue, what is the proper format to get technical support? I have sent an inital request and ongoing replies of my adventures to RT web site/support some 5 days and 3 hours ago and still no reply there. Tell me what works best for you and I will use that channel.

Thanks a million.
Jim
Jim

Support

Postby Support » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:38 am

Hi Jim,

I'll get someone to check that over here and confirm what is going on.

For support the ticketing system is the best way forward, but as I said - last week this was not looked after properly. This should be (and normally is) checked everyday.

Alternatively you can email either me (andy@...) or our general sales email address (sales@...) directly, and we can handle it directly.

Forum generally works "okay" as we now check it everyday, however it's all to easy to miss a new post or thread, so sometimes we need an emailed <bump> to prompt action.

Kind regards,

Andy

DrJim

Postby DrJim » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:28 pm

Downloaded latest firmware for DASH3. Drop downs work fine now - thanks to Andy's quick response when he got on the problem.
Jim

jlucas

Postby jlucas » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:54 am

Firmware? or software? Isn't the drop downs in the config software?
Jeremy Lucas
Fast Tech Limited - a Race Technology Dealer

DrJim

Postby DrJim » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:25 pm

Good point. You are correct.

As I understand it, software is used by the computer (DASH3 configuration program) and firmware is used by DASH3. Both have to be programmed to communicate with each other - actually, DASH3 just receives input from the configuration sotware in form of a DASH.HEX file download which includes the selected drop down.

In the latest case, I used the "^" character in a text string setting up the configuration with no problems. However, DASH3 found the "^" to be an unrecognized character and locked up when switching to the screen which contained the "^".

Andy fixed the problem over night and emailed me the new firmware update. It allowed DASH3 to properly use all the input from the configuration program.

Wishing you well.
Jim

Return to “Sensor-related questions”