Tips on using exsiting in-vehical sensors

DaMan

Tips on using exsiting in-vehical sensors

Postby DaMan » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am

Looking for help on requirements for using exsiting vehical sensors with DL-1.

I know when you add a new sensor, you need to supply power and ground from the DL-1, and then connect the analog signal wire.

If using an exsiting working sensor, it already has power and ground, do you just need to figure out the analog wire?

Also, what are prefered tapping methods? splice, clamp, terminal connectors, etc.

Thx.
---------
VW GTI w/DL-1

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:07 am

First:

Obviously, be very careful when tapping into existing sensors. In fact, if it's a road vehicle, and the sensor is in any way safety related (ABS sensors come to mind) we'd advise staying away from it completely.

Having said that, if the sensor has power, ground, and a ground-referenced output signal, you are right in surmising that you should only have to use that input, assuming that your logger is tied to the vehicle ground.

I'm not sure that it is possible to give generic advice as to the best physical connection to make to the vehicle wiring, sorry.
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

DaMan

Postby DaMan » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback Al,

For example, I have this pressure sensor in my car from the factory, the exact model that is sold by RT.

Are you saying that I need to take the ground from this sensor (which is tied into the cars grounding) and ground it to the DL-1?

OR

Are you saying that if I connect the DL-1 ground to the cars ground, then I can use any of the existing sensors in the car and will only need the referense signal to the DL-1 analog inputs?

Thanks for your time,
---------
VW GTI w/DL-1

DaMan

Postby DaMan » Sat May 20, 2006 1:25 am

:D Still looking for any advise on this :D

How does eveyone tap the wires for the sensor?

Looking at these: Image

Works like this: Image
---------
VW GTI w/DL-1

alowe

Postby alowe » Tue May 23, 2006 5:23 am

DaMan wrote:How does eveyone tap the wires for the sensor?

Looking at these: Image

Works like this: Image

Yes. That's what I used to tap into the RPM signal wire.

Return to “Sensor-related questions”