steering angle

pete_rallye

steering angle

Postby pete_rallye » Wed May 26, 2010 11:32 pm

I am currently in the process of wiring up a DL1, dash2 and video4 and need some help with sensors. I am using a steering angle sensor which was already fitted to the car. It is a potentiometer which increases it's resistance as you turn it, until a certain point whereby it returns to 0 ohms and starts increasing again. Do I need a pull up resistor to be fitted to this sensor? If so between which connections? Is it ok to use the 5v ref output for this sensor?

I also need to run a longer serial cable, between the dash and the output from the DL1/Video4, than the extension that was supplied. Can I just use a normal computer serial cable, as I have one long enough!

Thanks.

Support

Postby Support » Fri May 28, 2010 10:18 am

You will need a pull-up resistor. The value of it will depend on what resistance values you are seeing. Please look at the link below for further information on how to wire the sensor:
http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... WireSensor

You can use a standard serial extension cable for the DASH2.

pete_rallye

Postby pete_rallye » Fri May 28, 2010 10:45 pm

Right, after reading the info on the link it seems I should have mentioned the sensor has 3 wires, a 5v ref, an output and a gnd. According to the link this means I can connect it directly to the DL1 analog inputs without a resistor, is this correct?

I will also soon be fitting some brake pressure sensors, 3 wire, +5v ref, signal, gnd, I assume these can be conneceted the same way. The pressure sensors give a 0.5-4.5v output.

I have now wired the connectors on the original serial extension lead supplied by RT onto a new longer wire. I noticed the coloured wires are wired into different pins in each connector, I have wired them into the same pins, can someone confirm this is correct before I turn it all on?! If I end up using a bought cable is it a standard cable or a null modem one I require?

Thanks.

Support

Postby Support » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:29 am

Right, after reading the info on the link it seems I should have mentioned the sensor has 3 wires, a 5v ref, an output and a gnd. According to the link this means I can connect it directly to the DL1 analog inputs without a resistor, is this correct?

Yes

I will also soon be fitting some brake pressure sensors, 3 wire, +5v ref, signal, gnd, I assume these can be conneceted the same way. The pressure sensors give a 0.5-4.5v output.

Correct again.

I have now wired the connectors on the original serial extension lead supplied by RT onto a new longer wire. I noticed the coloured wires are wired into different pins in each connector, I have wired them into the same pins, can someone confirm this is correct before I turn it all on?! If I end up using a bought cable is it a standard cable or a null modem one I require?

You will need a standard serial extension lead, the wires will be straight through, no cross overs.

pete_rallye

Postby pete_rallye » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:25 pm

excellent, thanks for your help.

Return to “Sensor-related questions”