Nissan sensor questions

Scott SkylineGTR

Nissan sensor questions

Postby Scott SkylineGTR » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:47 pm

Hi folks, I have bought a DASH 2 to use in my R32GTR track car....
The car currently runs an Apexi PowerFC and I realise there is no ECU cable avaiable to use to connect to the DASH2. I intend to change the ECU at some point down the line (mid-end 2011) to a SYVECS S6 or Life Racing F-88 which should be compatible.
In the meantime I am thinking of wiring the DASH2 into the existing sensor structure and have a couple of questions regarding engine RPM and wheel speed sensors.
For RPM, has anyone used one of these:- http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Accessories/Tach_Adapters/8918_-_Tach_Signal_GMR_Pickup.aspx
and found it reliable?
Is this indeed what I need for the dash to be able to show RPM or something different??

Secondly, for wheel speed I have removed the ABS from the car but the ABS sensors are still in place. Are the Nissan ABS sensors directly compatible with the dash?? I see someone mentioned the use of http://www.centrodyne.com/other1page15Ma.htm. I seem to remember seeing a post where someone mentioned RT doing a converter box???
Do I need one of these to be able to utilise the stock ABS sensors or not?

I was once a motor mechanic but confess my auto electrics were pretty ropey :oops:

If anyone has any other experiences of installing the DASH 2 in an R32GTR or, indeed, on an RB26 then I'd love to hear from you...

Regards,
Scott

osborni

Postby osborni » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:33 am

Abs sensors are typically variable reluctance sensors, not hall effect. RT has a converter box that does the job. Alternatively, you can mount your own hall effect sensors to pick up a drive shaft bolt or brake rotor bolt.

Simplest way to pick up engine rpm is to use an injector or coil signal from the ecu. Typically a very clean and 5vdc signal. If you have an ossciloscope, you can look at it prior to hooking up the dash2.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

Scott SkylineGTR

Postby Scott SkylineGTR » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:51 pm

Thanks for the reply....
TBH, I'd rather utilise the ABS sensors if possible with an appropriate converter box if needed.

As for RPM, I dont have an oscilloscope or have access to one either unfortunately...I suspect that the ECU may well have an RPM output that I could utilise. Alternatively the standard dash uses an electronic rev counter so must have some form of signal going to it. I'm not 100% sure where thats generated but I think that may be the way to go???

Scott

osborni

Postby osborni » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:05 pm

I don't know the Apexi PowerFC, but i'm sure they have a pinnout diagram.

It is a piggy back? Then perhaps your stock tack signal still works? You will need to dig around some forums to find out how many pulses per rev it puts out. Or you could just hook it up and see what you get.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

Scott SkylineGTR

Postby Scott SkylineGTR » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:08 pm

PFC is stand alone. I have a pinout somewhere, just need to look it out :D

Thanks again..

Rob Stevens

Postby Rob Stevens » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:52 am

If the car has a rev counter, you just need to fine the wire to it, simples.

Scott SkylineGTR

Postby Scott SkylineGTR » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:37 pm

Thanks for the replies folks.
So, got the RPM sorted (I will use standard dash RPM feed and see how I get on).
As for wheel speed the rear driveshaft ABS ring has , what looks like, a nice trigger so the question is...what sensor would folks recommend I use thats compatible with the DL1/DASH2 ??

Rob Stevens

Postby Rob Stevens » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:43 am

you'll need a hall effect trigger RT sell these.

Rob Stevens

Postby Rob Stevens » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:46 am

or one of these, that way you can leave the existing sensor in position. http://www.race-technology.com/content. ... &cat=30606

Scott SkylineGTR

Postby Scott SkylineGTR » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:28 pm

Thanks Rob. I've managed to find a sensor in the RS components catalogue which looks physically identical to the sensor RT supply with the same spec ( I assume it's the same one!! :-)..
This looks like it will fit the aperture in my rear diff housing where the stock ABS vrs sensor resides. Question is, will this be suitable for reading the ABS trigger ring or should I just bite the bullet and buy the RT vrs conditioner as above?? The RS sensors are quite inexpensive compared to the RT vrs conditioner and would rather go down that route.....

Opinions please....

Scott

osborni

Postby osborni » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:27 pm

Hall effect sensors don't have the response time to read a ABS sensor wheel. You'll need to pick up some bolt heads on a drive shaft flange or brake rotor.

The only mechanically stock way to do what I think you want to do is to use the R-T vrs sensor converter Rob linked above.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

Turby

Postby Turby » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:05 pm

Motec do a dual channel one for around £65.

See http://www.m-cal.com/Products/MC13-3531 ... -Converter

lots of other useful sensors on their as well :)

register (for free) and then download the data sheet to make sure you get the one for ABS sensors.

Chris Wilson

Postby Chris Wilson » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:30 pm

I assume you need two of the Motec dual channel ones, or FOUR of the RT ones to read all four ABS sensors? If I machined off some of the "teeth" on my ABS rings to leave say 4 equi spaced ones, would a hall effect sensor read them OK then? A hall effect sesnor reads my cam trigger (single tooth 1/2 engine speed fine at 10,000 RPM, I need to do the maths I suppose.

Thanks.

osborni

Postby osborni » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:00 pm

If you have some EE competency, you can also use a LM1815 and a D-flip flop for some frequency division.... :)
BMW 2000 M Coupe

Chris Wilson

Postby Chris Wilson » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:18 pm

osborni wrote:If you have some EE competency, you can also use a LM1815 and a D-flip flop for some frequency division.... :)

I think I'll just drink a bit less (something I DO have great competency in), save up and buy the ready made gizmos. Thanks, I am sure it's easy for an electronics savvy person, but not for me ;)

Return to “Sensor-related questions”